New kid in Acworth, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmccourt

n00b
Jun 3, 2012
Sooo. To be honest i do not own a g-body, but i've been stalking this site for some time, and i have grown to like Cutlass' a lot. I'm almost 17, i plan on going to school to be a mechanic, and i'm looking for my first car.

(hopefully the rest of this post isn't frowned upon, because i have no idea where to bring this up, besides here)

I've been stalking craigslist for ever, looking for a good fixer upper/daily driver. I think i found one, but i'm kind of a noob, and hope somebody can give me some help.
It's an 83 Cutlass "Surpreme" with a rebuilt chevy 350 and a rebuilt 350 trans.
Here's a link to it:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3039495600.html
It was first posted about a week ago with a price of $1400, and today it dropped to $1100.
Is this a good deal? Are there any specific problems i should watch out for? How big of a problem is no power steering with these cars?
My dad and i are probably going to call the seller about it in the next few days and might go check it out in person.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I've already learned a lot from this forum and plan to keep reading.

Welcome, neighbor!

It's a good deal provided it runs right. I would thoroughly look over the car and listen to the engine and feel how the transmission shifts in a test drive. Check all the electrical components inside, test your climate control system, and if you have the money, Carfax the VIN to make sure it's a clean title.

Snellville is a bit of a drive but there's one here in the Rockmart area going for $1800.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3030885045.html

Less than 100k miles according to the ad. I'd say give them a call too.

I'll be sure to check all of those things, and I totally forgot about carfax.

That one seems like a good option too. I wish that ad had some pics. Kinda pushing my budget though.

Thanks a lot Jason!

that looks like a good deal..as long as its running with no knocking..and the transmission shifts good. Drive it on the highway and get it up to 65...if it's good then give that man $1100.

Welcome aboard.

Doug

Welcome fellow Georgian! ontop of what the others listed, make sure to take a good look at the undercarrage and fenderwells. if that thing came from up north then it could be rusted out underneath... also, as far as powersteering goes, i'd be scared to drive without it in my MC but you could A: fix it, or B: get ripped biceps from steering so hard lol.. best of luck and keep us informed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor