New member from Chicagoland area

Status
Not open for further replies.

88Classic

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2011
Lansing, IL
www.facebook.com
Hello all, I'm new from the Chicago area. Name's Mike. I just bought an '88 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham. I love G-body cars. My first car was a 1979 Cutlass Supreme. I've also owned a 1978 Cutlass Supreme with a mildly built 400 Pontiac motor. I've been looking for another G-body for some time to fix up/restore and cruise on the weekends. My buddys brother called me last week and told me of this '88 that he was selling for a good price. I took a look at it and decided to purchase it. It's very clean. Very minimal rust, only surface rust on the bottom inside of the doors. Frame is solid out back and has only surface rust. Quarters and doors and everything are solid. Interior is mint, with the exception of the headliner which is sagging but that's a relatively easy fix. I want to do a 442 clone...repaint it dark blue with the gray on the bottom and do all the 442 decals and logos. Here's a quick pic.

photo-11.jpg

photo-13.jpg

Engine is your usual 307 with the CCC Quadrajet. Its going to my mechanic tomorrow morning to get checked out and tuned up a bit, and to have some vacuum leaks chased down. The service engine soon light is on and it sorta hunts up and down at idle so I'm suspecting a relatively easy fix. I don't have alot of experience with carbs and my mechanic is an old school guy who made my other Cutlasses run great so I'm leaving that stuff up to him. It's got new plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. Also has new radiator, heater core, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket,hoses, belts, thermostat. It needs a new exhaust from the manifolds back, the original is hanging on with a hope and dream. I plan on having a dual exhaust installed on Tuesday.

I'm on the hunt for correct SSII/III 442 wheels for the car, I hate the granny wire covers on there now. Also when its repainted this summer, the landau top is coming off as well.

Hope to find good info and people on this forum! 🙂

Welcome and nice find; My second car (and first project) was an 87 Cutlass. I recently picked up an 83 GP and had some vacuum issues. Just go through the lines one at a time and replace either all of them or the ones that are brittle. I found a few that still looked alright, but were so brittle that they had cracks in them that you could not see.

Welcome to the site. It great to see another member from the the Chicago area. That cutlass is a real nice find and one of my favorite colors on a Gbody. Keep us informed on the work. I'm also looking for some 442 wheels so keep your eyes open. 😀

welcome fellow chicagoland gbody owner!

Hey Mike! Another Chicago person here. I'm Bob, nice car man. We have a ton of people in this area, we might need to get a gbodyforum.com meet set up this year. Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the welcome guys. A Chicagoland gbody meet would definitely be cool in the summer months! 🙂

I fixed the service engine soon light today. Took a look at the carb and noticed a vacuum line disconnected. I must have knocked it loose when I replaced the fuel filter. Idles better now and drives better, but still bogs a little if I get on it. Still gonna have my mech check it out tomorrow morning. I also installed a set of Kicker 4x10" coaxials to replace the stock speakers 🙂

Welcome! I'm another local in the area. Lots of good people and info on the site. The '88 Classics are a little hard to come by around here. That car would make a great sleeper with the vinyl top and chrome rocker mouldings! The nice thing about being a 307 car is that a 350, 403 or 455 drops in easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor