New (old) Forum Member/Old owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2019
NOVA
Hey all,

I was a member in G-Body Forum and Olds Power Forum, but I dropped off the Forums years ago, and when I put my Cutlass in storage in 2012, and stopped working on/driving, my attention went elsewhere (an E-36 M3 and restored an old Porsche 912).

I'm about 2 years from retirement and want to refocus on the Cutlass. My dad and I have always owned an Olds, my dads first was a 68 Cutlass, and from there he stayed in an Olds until his 96 Aurora gave up the Ghost. My first car was a 72 Cutlass, which I owned until 82. In 2000, I acquired my 1986 G Body Cutlass 442 Salon from its original owner with 65K miles on it, and it now has about 98K miles. It is mostly a survivor with ony a few changes.
- Replace Headliner
- Cat back Hooker Dual Exhaust (Adapted from Monte Carlo)
- Removed AIR injection system
- Shorter springs and shocks on Front Suspension
- Sony Head Unit with infinity Speakers and Subwoofer in Trunk
The rest of the car is original and in good condition with the exception of paint which is terrible.

So why am I back? I am going to retire from the Army in a few years, and have been playing around with the idea of buying a new Sorts Coupe (ranging from Mustang to Camaro, Challenger, F Type, Audi RS5) But I also HATE to get rid of the Cutlass, and am thinking of doing a complete resto-Mod to include:
- Modern V8 engine and drivetrain.
- Complete tear off and replace with Hotchkiss or other Modern suspension and Frame reinforcements.
- Complete overhaul of Brake system (ABS optional)
- Compete tear out and install of new Interior. Seats, Console, Dash, Gauges, HVAC controls, door controls. (on the fence on this)
- De-Chrome most of exterior, some custom body work, shaving of door handles, trunk lid, Grill Emblem etc. Going for a smooth GNX monochrome look, and will be in original color (Black Cherry Metallic)

Thinking of a complete dash swap matched to whatever power train I install. This will simplify many of the electrical issues (maybe lol) Here are a few pics of the car, some going back to when I bought it. The last photo was its last drive in 2012 before going into storage.

IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I personally don't see the reason to suck everything unique out of these old cars and make them something they are not. Of course it always involves the LS V8, boring. I say go with a modern DOHC I6, do something different, GM had one just a few years back. I am just an old school Olds purist, I say do a 307 stroker and be really different. Of course then the 307 will have enough power to hurt itself, so a Halo would be needed. I have my new Challenger GT for 35 mpg and all year round driving fun, when my Wife doesn't have it. I might be able to eek out 30 mpg, 26 mpg so far, out of my 88 Cutlass with 1.6" taller tires this year but it has a dual exhaust 260. The 70S Cutlass with a 350 might get 20 mpg but much better performance. It all depends on what you expect when you are done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Make me a fair offer, anything's possible, though I am want to part with it.
As bad as I want it, I just realized its 1 year too new. I need an 85 or older due to the new law MD passed 2 years ago (affects 86 and newer).

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2019
NOVA
I'm with you, have been thinking about how I could save and use the current block, crank, and trans. Would mean new heads, pistons, C rods, and injection system. I'd also do a refresh on the trans and rear diff. How much power can the 200 auto trans take? I'd be looking for drive-ability/reliability for a 3 season driver. I'd prefer an Olds motor, but they are super pricey. I'm past the dash swap, am leaning towards a digital insert, and interior refresh.

The exterior will keep the classic look and lines, and original color, but with less 80's bling, more of the sleeker Grand National. Still researching and thinking.....

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like a nice Cutlass. Sounds like what you want is a late model Camaro. An 80s Cutlass will never be a new Camaro. Restomods are fickle b*tches. It's really easy to make them all wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bulldog9

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2019
NOVA
Looks like a nice Cutlass. Sounds like what you want is a late model Camaro. An 80s Cutlass will never be a new Camaro. Restomods are fickle b*tches. It's really easy to make them all wrong.

I don't do wrong ;-) Dont want a Camaro, but want to modernize, and upgrade the suspension/brakes and driveline, and some tasteful improvements to interior/exterior. Goal is not a hot rod but 3 season daily driver with increased and upgraded performance. I've got the suspension and brakes and body down, working some of the interior details, and big due out is the engine/trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor