New Owner- Fuel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Put a fuel pressure gage to see if you are getting 4-7lbs. after the pump. Maybe anything from clogged in tank strainer to bad pump to fuel starvation etc etc. As for the donk wheels either raise it about a foot or get rid of the wheels.

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
Put a fuel pressure gage to see if you are getting 4-7lbs. after the pump. Maybe anything from clogged in tank strainer to bad pump to fuel starvation etc etc. As for the donk wheels either raise it about a foot or get rid of the wheels.
I’m getting a bouncing needle 3 to 4 psi

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My two cents… Until you identify what distributors in the car you’re chasing your tail. As Clone TIE Pilot stated, the original equipment carburetor and distributor work together. When you remove one of those components the system no longer works as intended. Until you know what you have you’re wasting your time chasing wild leads

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
At idle? Now watch it as you give it more accelerator, does it drop at all?
So I checked it again today. First time I checked I told you 3 to 4 at idle. Today was 6. Then I drove it for about 5 min came home checked it and it was at 2. Then it turned off.

Reactions: 1 user

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
My two cents… Until you identify what distributors in the car you’re chasing your tail. As Clone TIE Pilot stated, the original equipment carburetor and distributor work together. When you remove one of those components the system no longer works as intended. Until you know what you have you’re wasting your time chasing wild leads
How would I check to see model number on brand.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm not an Olds guy, but the OE distributor would look like this, assuming the 5.0 in question is the Olds 307, not a Chevrolet 305
D2074_Side_1818084.jpg

The harness that comes out of the base of the distributor ultimately connects to the ECM. If this is still in use, the aftermarket carburetor will be virtually impossible to work properly. There should be a number stamped into the housing somewhere, but can be difficult to see when installed.

One of the Olds guys would be better versed in how this system works in the later models, mine were earlier Chevrolets.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So I checked it again today. First time I checked I told you 3 to 4 at idle. Today was 6. Then I drove it for about 5 min came home checked it and it was at 2. Then it turned off.
It shouldn't be up and down, that constantly.

You now have to figure out the issue with getting the proper flow of gas to your carb in this situation now.

1. Is it the fuel pump?
2. Is it a fuel line?

Or.

3. Is it the sending unit, inside the tank 😎💪

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
I'm not an Olds guy, but the OE distributor would look like this, assuming the 5.0 in question is the Olds 307, not a Chevrolet 305
D2074_Side_1818084.jpg

The harness that comes out of the base of the distributor ultimately connects to the ECM. If this is still in use, the aftermarket carburetor will be virtually impossible to work properly. There should be a number stamped into the housing somewhere, but can be difficult to see when installed.

One of the Olds guys would be better versed in how this system works in the later models, mine were earlier Chevrolets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor