New owner Monte Carlo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclefarm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2015
Hi guys, I just bought an 84 Monte Carlo with the factory 5.7 Olds diesel. 120k miles, no rust but faded, I think it has a blown head gasket and no reverse. Plan: swap in a Chevy 454 and TH400 from a 77 pickup. Lots of info on this board, forums are the greatest form of information, looking forward to asking lots of questions.

Ed in NC Iowa

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Talk about a rarity, back in 1984, you had to be a very special buyer to order your brand new Monte Carlo with a Diesel engine... :)

Besides -- there might be several Diesel parts I'd be interested in buying from you. Send me a private message.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
cyclefarm said:
Hi guys, I just bought an 84 Monte Carlo with the factory 5.7 Olds diesel. 120k miles, no rust but faded, I think it has a blown head gasket and no reverse. Plan: swap in a Chevy 454 and TH400 from a 77 pickup. Lots of info on this board, forums are the greatest form of information, looking forward to asking lots of questions.

Ed in NC Iowa

Post a picture if you can. I didn't even know they made them, always thought it was just the Cutlass available with the diesel.

cyclefarm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2015
Same engine as the 1981 Caprice Diesel I used to own. I drove the car about 10 miles, starts/runs/sounds good but bubbling in coolant tank indicates a blown head gasket or worse. Prev owner said engine is good....

I think it has the 200R4 automatic transmission but reverse is out so needs rebuild.

Body is excellent as far as I can tell, except a bit of rust lifting paint on bottom edge of trunk.

Maybe it would be smarter to sell the car (probably kind of rare) complete? I would rather have a Malibu or Monte SS with good body anyway, don't even need one with an engine or transmission.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Awesome! I've always wanted a Diesel G or B-body car just for the novelty of it. My brother's 455 Olds powered 81 Caprice was originally a diesel, still wears all the badges and fools people every time. Nice car!

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
cyclefarm said:
Maybe it would be smarter to sell the car (probably kind of rare) complete? I would rather have a Malibu or Monte SS with good body anyway, don't even need one with an engine or transmission.

It is very rare, and it would be sad to see it converted to gasoline -- on the other hand, maybe buyers for this car will be very difficult to find.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Welcome to the site.

Doug

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
Hello & welcome from Toronto, Canada.
Couldn't get your pix to work.
Never seen a diesel MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor