new pro comp heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrute

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2009
cincinnati 0h
i have been looking at the new procomp heads for a couple months. wanna know if any one is running them also if any one has had major issues out of them . they are going on a fresh 350 erson 510lift 310dur pp huricane 750 eled carb i have a set of 882 on ther noy an wanna get er breathing a lil better

Where's the specs on your cam? Seems like your cam is pretty radical with that duration, is that lift at .050??

Without a heck of a lot of duration at that range of lift for the street you're likely wanting something with about a 185-195cc intake runners that has the best flow possible at .500. You have more options if you bring the lift up a bit but you already have the cam.

Pro comp used to be crap and I doubt they're much better now after they've reworked them. I would stay away from procomp 190's there are better options. Patriot perf. freedom series were great when they came out and nice cnc ported and large 2.05 intake valves on their 195cc runners but now they're more average, still better than procomp. I'm guessing dart, brodix, and afr are out of your price range. Fast burns are great if you were running more lift.

Trick flow 195's for your application, next choice would be edelbrock 185's (performer rpm), then procomp 190.

Don't discount vortecs either, take a look around to see if you like them. I think they come in 175cc runner (and 206 wouldn't get that one) but its still way better than your 882's. The vortecs may not work depending on what you want to do with your intake. World and procomp I would stay away from its just me, not that they're bad but for a little bit more money you can make more power.

I know ther are a lot of better heads available just on a collage budget its hard to save much more money. if I rember its like 244 or 250 dur at .50. I blew a head gasket few weeks back an i can afford a set of pro comp from white performance they check all casting before they assemble them with decent pats. I been looking at the 58cc 210 to bump up my compression an lot more flow

you don't want 210cc's 58cc chambers, not at all. What that would do is bump up compression and make it less streetable, give you a little more top end, but hurt you bad in throttle response and lower rpm torque and possible timing/tuning issues on pump gas depending on your current compression, you're effectively moving the power band above your cam profile it doesn't work well unless you can get more lift. I thought your cam was a little more radical than that. Personally I'd find some nice vortecs and see if you can get a cheap intake, vortecs flow very well stock and you can get em real cheap. Or the trick flows aren't much more than skip whites and will give better performance.

I'm in college too, you know what I wish I'd done? I wish I'd waited an extra 6 months or year or even two to buy AFR's.

You're going to be paying a LOT of money as is for the procomps, you can make 20 more hp with something a little better for the same price range
heres a better link - about 150$ more than skips (check out a book and install springs yourself) http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part ... rice%7cAsc same goes for the edelbrocks, though I think it'd be very close between the eddy and the new procomp. Look for something in the range of 64cc-74cc for street power on pump gas (those 62cc ones will work with premium).

You can make 40 more hp if you step up to a cnc ported mid-range expense head for 300-500 more, any of the previous options most of the companies offer a port job. You can make 60more hp if you want to spend another 800$ on top of your procomps for afr's. I say either of those routes are worth it. Later on down the road when your engine doesn't have the power you want, you'll look back and think why did I not save up for a few more months if not for the AFR's for the cnc'd ones.

I have a stock bottom end its a gm perfomance short block got off craigslist for a 100 bucks had block machined didn need bore crank is still std I have bout 8.5:1 now an with 58cc be round 10.1 witch be great an I have been looking at the 190. The patriots are the closest to my budget but I still have to get a spool 4:10 an c clip eliminaters

I mean the pro comps are good decent heads now, they used to be complete crap. But when you set them next to vortecs they're not that much different besides weight, but you can pick up a set of vortecs for real cheap.

10:1 many people run on the street, I prefer some under that the compression.......this is a stretch some guys may attack me on here 😛 ... the compression up to a point doesn't matter so much on the street. If you have the correct airflow to match your cam, then the .5 extra compression isn't going to matter much. But the lower compression is going to help when fuel changes or sits, weather changes hard startups, bad tuning, timing off, etc. all around driveability. Mine is around 9.0 compression and it makes some good power. Maybe shoot for 62-64cc combustion chambers if you want more compression.

Patriot's 185's I'm guessing your'e looking at? See this is what I mean if I remember right patriot used to have a 190cc non-cnc'd version, a step under their 195 cnc ported ones for less than their current 190 cnc'd heads. Then they took it away it makes more money for them, but hurts guys like us.

Just from bench flow tests in the past I've seen the patriots will make a little more power than the procomps. The 185 patriots will make about the same power as the 190 procomps but with a tighter torque curve and throttle response, which will help a lot before you have those 4.11's in. If you end up getting their 190 cnc'd version thats perhaps the best for the money. Those come installed for a few hundred more than what you're lookin at and I can guarantee you they flow much better than 190 procomp.

A step above that would be the 195 trick flows (which I'd recommend) or the 195 cnc patriot freedoms

edit: Let me put it this way, skip's 210 cnc'd procomps up there now flow less than the 195 cnc'd patriot freedoms and the 195 trick flows for your cam and the whole range of streetable cams, you're going to have to get real aggressive to get power from those 210s. (the old freedoms w/ larger intake valves flowed even better). Now think about the crappiness of the 190 non ported procomps... :puke:

Hi we use the pro comp gear all the time,but with the head u need the intake to go with it or the runners don't line up.I have built 2 sbc with the pro comp heads and setting up a set of bbc pro comp head for my self.O and you are going to have to check your push rods lengths the last engine needed .150 longer rods to get the valve train geometry right. A good engine builder know what todo it is in how it is all set up.all the nightmares that u read on the pro comp gear is because some people just thinks it is a bolt and go but this is not true.I have seen the same problems with the so called USA brand gear out on the market.

LOL I am not trying to sell u pro comp gear but u are like me just not spending the big coin for gear. lets put it this way $1000 comp heads or $3000 bb2 heads and too have a valve drop and gone just like that no more head.

Guys on the third gen camaro forum have had a lot of luck with them an for 650 shipped to my door so far nothing can beat em I know there's much better heads out dare but they are hundreds more an vortec heads you don run moe then 480 lift

If you're still looking at procomps, the vortecs will flow better under 500 lift for half the price, you start to make up for it a little above 500 lift and you're not even going to get that much more out of it with your cam. For a big block, yes I can see using larger procomps as a good cheap option.

the vortec heads can be upgraded to handle more lift for still cheaper than the procomps. You can buy them new for 400$ from scoggin dickey or used ones anywhere. You're throwing money down the drain IMO if you get procomps. I don't think you realize how much they [don't] flow compared to aluminum heads 150-200$ more

much better:
http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dick ... r/sd8060a2

edit: on the camaro forum their cars are a few hundred lbs lighter stock for stock. Don't get side tracked by those long winded descriptions on the skip white ebay pages. From what I've seen if they hide flow numbers from you the heads aren't worth the time, cuz they flow test all their heads.

those SD heads, and one of these, buy on ebay -for vortecs- http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... m-sb.shtml (or an air gap if you want to spend more) sell your old 882's and intake keep the 750 and it'd be cheaper than the 650$ procomps. Plus you have more power :banana: and you get that compression that you want.

Ty for the link I might get a set for the bu w/ an airgap. Maybe pep up the 355 a lil. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor