New to site and would love the input on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, been away for far too long but still nothing with the car starting. I did NOT pull the distributor, so timing is same as it was when I got it. I have primed carb many times - starting fluid and gas. Car REALLY wants to start - seeing smoke coming from snorkel on valve cover to air cleaner, and will atomize gas sometimes (mist up over the carb) but nothing else. I have to leave for a couple weeks now and won't get back under it for a while. Maybe when I get back I will have the ambition to start over again.

Also have a great idea that I wanted to spin off here as well. I have been contemplating an LS engine swap for weeks now, but i have a grand idea that no one I have ever heard of or read has tried. Looking through a salvage yard on Ebay, Cleveland Pick a Part specializes in totaled high performance cars. They have a complete C5 corvette chassis with 76k, that's bumper to bumper engine, transmission, frame and suspension. ANYWAY how realistic would it be to drop my Regal onto a completely different frame? I see that yes, much fabrication would be involved (I'm a sheet metal mechanic in the AF) but I am really enjoying the idea and challenge of having as unique a car as this would be.

dirtywhiteboy said:
hmmm, it ran before you worked on it, but did not run after being serviced.

I cannot emphasize enough to retrace your steps. This will almost always be caused by tech error, but not always.
I was a copier,fax,computer,network repair guy and supervisor for many years. I would get 2-3 calls a week from techs that had a problem that they caused and didn't realize it.LOL If the symptom changes while you are working on it, you most likely caused it.

As others have mentioned, prime the carb. Maaaaybe the fuel pump quit. If you have blue spark, all you need is air and fuel. I hope you changed the wires one at a time or at least know for a FACT where the rotor was sitting before you tried to fire it back up. Just because the firing order is correct does not mean the wires are in the correct spot (correct timing).

Fuel pump is brand new, checked line from pump to carb - was squeaky clean. I have also watched many times someone else pumping accelerator and see gas streaming into the intake through the carb.

I know there new plugs but i did a tuneup before put everything pack together did jack. Played with it for days just to find out the plugs where grounding themselves out. Bought another new set ran perfict. Just because the new doesnt mean there good. Just a suggestion could be it or could not be it you never know.

I know it's been suggested, but have you made absolutely certain that you put the wires back on the correct locations on the cap? That would cause the problem you are describing. As for the Corvette thing, that's going to be a ridiculous amount of work. You would be way better off with swapping the whole drivetrain (not from the Corvette, because of the transaxle setup). Either get the motor from the vette and a different transmission or try to find the setup out of a GTO or CTS-V. Either way, that's a whole bunch of work too; if you are having issues getting the stock motor running, you may be in for a whole world of hurt on either of those swaps......just sayin' :mrgreen:

Had a problem similar to yours with a olds 260. I had spark, fuel and air. I drove the car a lot, turned it off and parked it for a couple days. Went to fire it up and had a similar problem to yours. Ended up being my timing chain. Just throwing that out there as a possibility. It seems weird that it wont start after a tune up.

chevy2480 said:
I know there new plugs but i did a tuneup before put everything pack together did jack. Played with it for days just to find out the plugs where grounding themselves out. Bought another new set ran perfict. Just because the new doesnt mean there good. Just a suggestion could be it or could not be it you never know.

How would the plugs ground themselves out in place? What would be the cause of that?

chevy2480 said:

I will try some new plugs then as well. Maybe I can get them for free from Advance.

87PearlRegal said:
chevy2480 said:

I will try some new plugs then as well. Maybe I can get them for free from Advance.

Its hard to say but they did.Held plug in the air sparked like it should put it nere metal spark would jump from the part that threads into block to metal nothing would come out of electrode. Just an FYI if you remove that tired v6 if its a 109 casting it is the same block as a gn the only difference is the hole for the oil return from turbo is not drilled. Block and heads are same the internals are different anyway block alone can fetch $300 gn guys are always looking for std blocks

QUOTE: Just an FYI if you remove that tired v6 if its a 109 casting it is the same block as a gn the only difference is the hole for the oil return from turbo is not drilled.

Its not the good turbo buick casting as Ii ends in 290. I have pretty much set mind up for doing an LSX swap anyway. I want fuel injection, along with the reliability and mpg it comes with.

Ok, back to finally getting under the hood again. Pulled the plugs and this is what I found after ZERO miles. How the hell could they get so dirty already? These were the Bosch Platinum 2+ that were supposed to work in the car. Went with the standard Autolites coppers for $2. Still did not work. Pulled all the wires and they looked fine. Still spinning my engine and no fire. Ready to pull the engine now and go for something more reliable. If you are in the Dayton, Ohio area and would not mind stopping by to get my Buick running, I would buy a case or two of whatever you are drinking.

Thanks all so far
Ryan

email [email protected]
phone 937-681-9952

Attachments

• 2011-07-01_12-09-05_235.jpg
    2011-07-01_12-09-05_235.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 453
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor