New to the gbody club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2020
Nashville, TN
What’s up everyone!, ever since I seen Lowriders as a kid and a grand national I fell in love. For the past 5 years I’ve been looking for a 83-87 regal, last year came across an 83 regal limited with 84k on it. So I got it for a good deal! I love my regal. I want to fix it up so bad but I can’t find anyone near Nashville, TN that knows about them and wants to help me fix it up and teach me things about the car. This is my first carbureted vehicle so it’s different, I have some things I want fixed, vinyl top redone/or removed? , rust on rear fenders right below the vinyl top, bottoms of doors, and it’s faded paint from the previous owner, still not sure if the mileage is accurate on the dash, can’t find any solid info about the car. Wanted to change the front end to the 86 front end I like the headlight and grill better in those and the taillights from the 84^ . Kind of want to get it on a lift and get all the rust off and re coated, all the vacuum lines are dry rot, runs pretty well, starts right up and drives smooth. Power windows and seat works, heat works, a/c condenser line broke so need a condenser. Interior is pretty dang good! I just hate the brown, and I want buckets. Long process to get it how I want it I know. Time and money. But if I could meet up with someone to see a really clean one I would be inspired and have a friend to work on the rides with! Just want the car in good enough shape to go to shows and to have compliments on it. Someone tell me if there are any of y’all in Nashville that would want to help a brother out!

Reactions: 1 user

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome to a great site ,
I am no where close to you , my first thought is for you to start attending the local cars & coffee type meets that are local to you . Meet people ,ask them questions about their cars and sources of parts / trusted shops / etc.
drive your car to these events............ sure you will be the new guy with a project car........... the guys you want to learn from will naturally be drawn to the fresh car .

and not one of us here , had our cars to the level we wanted quickly .............time & money.

enjoy the ride !

my 2 cents

Reactions: 6 users
Mar 9, 2020
Nashville, TN
thanks man! Yeah there’s a cars and coffee next month. But it’s never any gbodies there. Mostly lambos lifted trucks and old camaros and vettes. But I’ll still whip it!

Reactions: 2 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
You might try going to a privately owned auto parts store, (avoid AutoZone, etc.), and ask some of the guys who have worked there several years. These people should be able to know of someone that may be able to help you out. However, at first you may need to pay someone to come over (versus free) to work on your car.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
You might try going to a privately owned auto parts store, (avoid AutoZone, etc.), and ask some of the guys who have worked there several years. These people should be able to know of someone that may be able to help you out. However, at first you may need to pay someone to come over (versus free) to work on your car.
You have to watch the free help it’s ok to lend a hand
But you need a mechanic not anybody who is willing to help or wanting to work on your car to gain knowledge at the expense of your vehicle
You would be better off buying a Chiltons book and doing a true Do it Yourself and get that satisfaction we all know so well

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Welcome to the site man. When i got my regal and found this site, i learned tons of info. I knew nothing about the ins and outs of the gbody either. Search on here for specifics or ask the guys a question they will certainly help out. Im still too much of an amateur to offer expert advice but i learned a bunch on my regal. Check out my build thread if its even still active. Lol. I will check

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
What’s up everyone!, ever since I seen Lowriders as a kid and a grand national I fell in love. For the past 5 years I’ve been looking for a 83-87 regal, last year came across an 83 regal limited with 84k on it. So I got it for a good deal! I love my regal. I want to fix it up so bad but I can’t find anyone near Nashville, TN that knows about them and wants to help me fix it up and teach me things about the car. This is my first carbureted vehicle so it’s different, I have some things I want fixed, vinyl top redone/or removed? , rust on rear fenders right below the vinyl top, bottoms of doors, and it’s faded paint from the previous owner, still not sure if the mileage is accurate on the dash, can’t find any solid info about the car. Wanted to change the front end to the 86 front end I like the headlight and grill better in those and the taillights from the 84^ . Kind of want to get it on a lift and get all the rust off and re coated, all the vacuum lines are dry rot, runs pretty well, starts right up and drives smooth. Power windows and seat works, heat works, a/c condenser line broke so need a condenser. Interior is pretty dang good! I just hate the brown, and I want buckets. Long process to get it how I want it I know. Time and money. But if I could meet up with someone to see a really clean one I would be inspired and have a friend to work on the rides with! Just want the car in good enough shape to go to shows and to have compliments on it. Someone tell me if there are any of y’all in Nashville that would want to help a brother out!
Hello kj83, welcome from Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor