New twist on Jeep steering shaft upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
Well I wouldnt call it so much of a twist as I would call it "saving money and time". I went to the junkyard a few weeks back and grabbed a steering shaft out of an unknown year of jeep and it looked exactly like the ones on the steering shaft upgrade thread so I grabbed it...wasnt as cheap as I thought :blam: but whatever. So I went to put it on couple days ago and its like 3.5-4inches long :wtf: so this is how I went about it because I didnt want to be charged again at the junkyard.Btw I had like 3 different ways to go about fixing the problem and realized quick none of them were safe and this was the only way to do it...Safely

Attachments

• 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,759
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,742
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,715
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,707
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,707

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
sry posted backwards but anyway I couldnt just cut a section out and just weld it together so I cut the housing of the u-joint because it is pressed on the rod not welded, that freed it so I could take separate the two...then I cut it. pressed it back on then welded it. Reason for doing it like that is those shafts are made to crush upon impact and to cut a section and just weld it would lessen the integrity of the shaft, also if that weld ever broke I wouldnt have steering :shock: ! So if this happens to anyone else I hope this helps you to save money,time and your life lol later guys :wink:

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
YGspider said:
what exactly dose the jeep steering shaft upgrade do?
gives you u-joints on each end of the steering shaft instead of that stiff rag joint that comes stock

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
ChiefCut83 said:
YGspider said:
what exactly dose the jeep steering shaft upgrade do?
gives you u-joints on each end of the steering shaft instead of that stiff rag joint that comes stock
Or clearance if you need, the stock shafts can be bulky when dealing with bigger blocks also

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
All I did to mine was put the shaft in a vise andheat the section of the shaft where one piece over laps the other with a propane torch. This melts the plastic that is injected in at the factory. Then I hit the u-joint with a hammer until the two pieces of the shaft separated. Finally I marked the length the shaft needed to be and put some hot glue on the smaller shaft and tapped it into place. No cutting, no welding, no problems.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
kustomss said:
All I did to mine was put the shaft in a vise andheat the section of the shaft where one piece over laps the other with a propane torch. This melts the plastic that is injected in at the factory. Then I hit the u-joint with a hammer until the two pieces of the shaft separated. Finally I marked the length the shaft needed to be and put some hot glue on the smaller shaft and tapped it into place. No cutting, no welding, no problems.

Same here Boss

MC-87-SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2011
Tallahassee Florida
Good job on being creative but as others said they do come apart and would have compressed enough to use without any cutting.
If you got one of the long ones they can still be easily cut once separated without touching the ends.
Or could have just bought one from me ready to install. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor