Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
vweds57 said:
I think 20mpg can be had...

I got a consistant 20 mpg out of my '79 Malibu wagon, and as good as 23 mpg on highway trips.
It had a 267 V8, 2 bbl carb, th350, and some unknown highway gears... I miss that car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ed, I gotta ask- does the Bug have the flip-out turn signal lights in the pillars? I haven't seen those in AGES!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
You must mean semaphores. If I'm not mistaken, they were issued on early European cars.

Jack

vweds57

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2009
I think setting the car up with TBI probably would cost more than what i'd save in fuel cost. I'll play with the car and see what I can get. If it turns out that 18 or so is all I can get with what I have then I'll back up and try something else, but I think 20 is doable. I'll never get there though if I can't keep my foot out of it. Too much fun!

For the VW, My 53 split has semaphores but the others don't. I think the european models had the semaphores until 62. Every now and then one can be found here in the US that a GI probably bought back when they returns for overseas. In the US models, I believe 1954 was the last year for them. While stationed in Germany I worked with an older German national who told me in the late 50's and early 60's the German government actually made the German folks screw them closed and mount the signals on the fenders. They were called mox nix sticks over there which basicly means oh well don't matter because they were hard to see. They were consider fairly dangerous I'm told. Everyone wants them now though. They're getting tough tp find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor