Newb with an '84 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2008
Hey just thought i'd introduce myself. My name's Tyler, i'm 19 years old and i've owned 5 cars since getting my license at the age of 16, three of those cars being V8 mustangs. I just recently ran across this board because I just recently bought my first G Body. It's a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a 307 V8 and Auto. transmission. It's in very good shape I bought it from my parents who have owned it for over nine years. I also have some questions pertaining this car...After reading up some I found that this car has the 200-4R transmission and GM Corporate 7.5 rear end am I correct? I was also wondering what I could do to get every little last bit of horsepower out of this motor? I'm not ready to do a engine swap just yet. I've read a lot that it's not worth it to even try to mod this motor but I was wanting to get a second opinion from a forum like this. I appreciate the help! :D And here are a few pictures of the car...

MARPICTURES3009.jpg

MARPICTURES3006.jpg

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Free flowing air filter ( 3" open element K&N) & 2.5" dual exhaust with Summit Super Turbos or Summit Force mufflers. The Force's have a good-as or better than Flowmaster sound at 1/3 the cost.

Other than that, your pissing money away on a useless Olds turd of a motor.

BTW, nice car. What did give for it??

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
welcome to the dark side and welcome to the site, car should be alot of fun for you and it looks pretty clean as well

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
+1 on the air cleaner and exaust.
If emissions dosent test old cars in your state much like they dont in ny and other places.

Lose all the polution stuff, switch to a pre polution q-jet if you can find one (I reccomend holley, but most people around here like oem carbs)
Basic tune up, do wires, plugs, cap coil.
oil change (dont use a fram filter)

if your going to do exaust, get headers for sure.

Nice start tho. Welcome

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, emissions permitting, I'd say headers with a nice exhaust. Different ignition, intake and carb just to start things off, and get rid of all the smog stuff (again, if you can). Welcome to the forum by the way, thats a clean Cutlass you got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor