Newbe - But, wanting to restore me to an owner of a G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP4U2NV

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati
Ok, hi guys and gals.

My name is William. I am a 3.8 Grand Prix Nut of the 88-03 generation. My first car that I "owned" was a 82 Buick Regal w/ 3.8 and a 200c Transmission. It was white with blue 1/2 top and blue interior.

So anyways that car is long gone. But, I miss her. I have started to look for another. Of course this not a rush as I own way to many cars as it is.
-93 grand prix w/ 3.8 s/c
-00 Grand Prix w/ 3.8 s/c
-00 Grand Am BEATER
-99 Caddy Deville (for sale)
-95 Grand Prix Sedan

So, I have been "lurking" on this board for a month or so and have decided what I want as follows:

- Wanting a 82-87 Regal (maybe a monte/cutty/or gp)
Looking for a floor shift w/ V8 (not required I could do a swap)
Also, looking for a complete car.

The questions that I have are:

1) Any Tips what to look for whaen looking at one for sale
2) any tips where to get a good one?
3) value of a good used one?
4) any options that I should stay away from?
5) any meetings or anything that I can go to, in order to purchase or see a punch of g-bodys?

Any and all replys are requested and thankful for.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
check for rust, the least rust the better you will be in the long run...try to find a car with original paint, so you know for sure that any issues hasnt been fixed the wrong way lol

a good g-body can run you from 1500 to 8-9 grand...depending how rare it is...shiz a GNX can run you more than a brand new car! :twisted:

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Look for rust at the bottom of the doors and quarters (I know obvious), also in the door openings above the hinges below the windshield. Also make sure to check the rear frame rails - behind the diff as they commonly rust there.

Also, if you don't want a landau (1/2 vinyl) top. You should buy a car that is already without it. It is a pain to remove (not impossible, I did it but I would avoid it again). If buying a t-top car pay attention to the trim at the openings and the floor pans since the t's usually leak and cause problems there.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Roof rot is the worst thing to try and fix, and a lot of these cars rot above the door windows, so look for Bondo in that area.

Munkey B

Greasemonkey
Jul 5, 2008
Detroit, michigan
i recently got back in G-body game. i was extremely lucky in 2 cars i found since July.

my first, an 82 is a maryland car, and is pretty rust free w/exception of aformentioned doors. the 86 i just got last week, same thing. it's just as clean but needs doors. both are T-top cars and have solid window frames, floors and firewalls.

also, G-body trunk lids esp GP, Cutlass and Montes have rust usually along the bottom lip that extends to bumper.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
welcome back!

once you own them you can never un own them.

Ive owned over 30 cars and ever sense I sold my last monte, all I wanted was another monte, Its haunted me every day for 2 years.
Tomarrow I should be picking up another monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor