no power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
ok i need help here. it should be easy to fix but rather than chasing down a bunch of stuff ill just give you the problem and maybe one of you can give me the answer.

my car has NO power, zero, zilch, nada. i was trying to jump the car one day as i was having battery problems disconnected one of the battery cables (dont ask why, i still dont know why i did that) and next thing i know my car has zero power to anything when i tried connecting the cable. no lights, no nothing.

now did i pop a fuse or did i burn up a fusible link or both?

i'd really like to know cuz i'd like to get the car running again and im not in the mood to chase electrical demons down. im still somewhat recovering from being in the hospital a while ago and just want to know what to fix so i can get it going again.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
First thing, check the voltage on your battery. Second, check all your terminal connections for tightness and corrosion.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
you dont understand...when i put the cable back on AND the other car was still hooked up to mine i was getting ZERO power. something popped when i took my cable off.

i checked my fuses, they're all fine. i think its a fusible link.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Wait - so even when the other car's cable was hooked to your battery, you couldn't get it to start?

Since the positive battery terminal goes directly to the starter motor, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the fusible link on the starter motor is fused.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
thats what im thinking, the fusible link at the starter went poof when i made my faux pas with the cable. cuz after i put it back on i got no electricity to anything, not the dome light which worked before i goofed, not the headlights, not the cigarette lighter, the radio, nothing.

at least i know its not a fuse. i was suspecting fusible link but i've been loathe to squeeze my oversized butt under the car to see it.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Doesnt the fuse panel get power from a terminal on the starter? I would assume to check for continuity form the terminal on the starter to the fuse panel and continuity from the battery to the starter. It most llikely is the fusible link but is is always better to be sure.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
does the battery/car use side terminals?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
no power

all you have to do to check a fusible link is pull on it, the hard part is replacing it. :D

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
alright i looked at a wiring diagram and i see two fusible links that can be the problem and most likely ARE the problem. i'll try to check them when the weather cools down again, im not dragging my butt under the car when its in the 90's.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
ok back to this problem. i looked at the fusible links at the starter and they looked fine.

where else can i look to see where this no power issue is coming from?

because i do NOT want to take this car to a shop and shell out money i dont have to fix a problem i can do myself IF i can find where the problem is.

i cant be the only person to have had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor