noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
I've just found this sight. Wish I'd found it when I was into my wagons (82 Cutlass Cruiser and 83 Malibu). A little swaping of engines and these things go like stink!
My current project is a 1969 AMX of wich i am putting G-body underpinnings so as to get rid of all the crappy AMC junk and have the ability to get high performance stuff that will bolt on and not cost an arm and a leg (and possibly a few other things).
I may also have an early 80's(80-83 not sure yet)Buick regal body for sale. just the body no frame or suspension.
i have done a few engine swaps so any information I cann share I will.

Btw My old Cutlass is on stationwagon.com
This thing was ugly as sin but it would pull high 13's and surprised many a ricer before it went to the big crusher in the sky.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
welcome... um...nice amx? anyway welcome.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
underpinings? You put an AMX on a g-body frame?

GrandPrixJamie

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2007
Schenectady New York
Welcome.... by the way.... Wouldnt it have been easier to use a chevy s-10 frame?

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
Bout the only thing salvageable was the Amx body. After spending 5 yrs sitting in the grass in upstate NY nothing was left mechanically.
The decision to use the g-body frame was based in the dimensions(reasonably close) and good familiararity with that particular chassis,besides they handle decently and can handle mucho power if done right
Plus just because it looks like an Amc product it is guaranteed to send those snobbish AMC pukes running for their mommies when they realize that it is entirely GM underneath and it moves and handles better at a third the price.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
"$3.38/gal for 91 oct." That was why I went with an OD transmission, a lock up converter, and a q-jet. It uses a mild cam runs well on 89 octane and has gotten 17mpg on the hwy. (Not great but not bad for a hard running car.) I wanted to enjoy driveing it not telling people I have one in my garage. How many can afford to drive a car that gets 9mpg other than down the 1/4 and maybe to the very local car show. Not sure that alcohol is actually going to help as its cheaper but you burn more of it.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
ha ha i get 26mpg with mine. thank goodness for the 700R4!

amx69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
Syracuse,N.Y.
Future plans involve possibly a 200r4 and 3:08 gears. I'd like to put a Gearvendors overdrive unit in but with a car that hasn a 97" wheelbase I dont know if I'll have enough room for it . If I do the car will probably have one of the shortest driveshafts on record. As for the alchohol thing gas doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper and since this country seems to be heading in a European Union kinda way economically speaking,expect regular to be $4 or $5 a gallon(God help us all) so lets see on that one. As for using a s-10 frame,they're too heavy duty(read heavy),getting performance suspension parts is iffy and leaf springs just plain suck.
And on a final note, try looking in Speedway's Catalog for chassis parts. Alot of roundy cars are based on metric stubs. Hi perf brakes,fully adjustable tubular a-arms and other assorted crafters goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor