Odd brake sound

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Once every thing cleaned and replace moisture shouldn't be an issue. Because of age and sitting a while, good idea to replace flex lines going to calipers. This is true for the pins and hardware.

On rotors even on "new" I always have them turned. They get banged around with handling. I went through this recently with local parts store. He questioned why turn new but when he did, he told me when I came back to pick up both were warped. New drums I do the same. All you need is to have it dropped while putting on shelf and it's no longer round.

We're calipers fresh built or just pushed back in bore to replace pads? On old calipers it will work but won't reset properly (or might not)...

If you start seeing lots of dust or rust residue on front wheels, that can indicate caliper not resetting properly and dragging the pad when not applied.

When doing brakes for customers I look for loaded pair sets or new calipers. I don't go rebuilt calipers anymore had to many problems with not being properly done. If I can't get new I just get the kits and rebuild myself. This way I can inspect the bore, make sure cleaned, and new seals, etc...

Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Check your runout. If it's greater than 0.004" you probably need to true them up. Even brand new rotors can have slight issues. Key is, a slight drag like that might be caused by 0.002" runout for example, so it may not be a big deal.

Here's only ONE video of many showing you how to check it.

Thanks. Appreciate the vid.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I appreciate everyone's help. Turns out it was the backing plate. I am glad I took it back apart to have a good look.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It is still the rotor runout doing it. The backing plate doesn’t move. Or shouldn’t move. You said it was only on one spot not continuous. So your rotor still shows a slight runout. Glad you got the backing plate straightened up though.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
It is still the rotor runout doing it. The backing plate doesn’t move. Or shouldn’t move. You said it was only on one spot not continuous. So your rotor still shows a slight runout. Glad you got the backing plate straightened up though.
Will check it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor