Oh how the mighty are falling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
www.cardomain.com
Toyota announces it will hault sales and production of most of it's car lines in correspondance with it's massive recall of over 4 million vehicles.

Toyota has grown to GM-esque proportions, and is now experiencing GM-esque problems.
The irony is delicious... :lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100127/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall

My dad mentioned these a year or so ago. He felt then that Toyota was so bent on trying to overtake GM as the biggest car manufacturer in the world, that they would end up shooting themselves in the foot in some form or another.

I'm sure that'll affect the job market in the city i live in, we have a plant here that manufactures toyota parts. just great, more people competing for jobs we don't have :blam:

I just read some article about this this morning. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the recall is about. I know people have been getting killed from a design problem that makes the car go full throttle, and on cars with push button automatic start it won't let you shut the car off. That ended up with people burning off their brakes and literally driving off cliffs, into intersections etc. at over 100 mph and getting killed.

Originally Toyota had the nerve to blame the floor mat for jamming the pedal, others were saying it's a computer software problem. The article I read today said Toyota has a problem with a "part in the accelerator system" and only with the part being built in the USA plant. They still question if it has caused any injury or death....obviously it has.

I still dont know this "part" they're talking about, maybe the pedal on a drive by wire system?

the recall involves cutting the gas pedal down about a inch in a curved manner and the computers are getting reprogrammed so when you hit the gas and brake at the same time it will shut down the injectors. they will get it sorted out in no time. they are still great cars. even with this problem i would recomend one. ( to my wife and mother in law . LOL )

we have a couple of Toyota plants nearby and the words on the news this morning both plants are stopping production

"Toyota Canada will temporarily shut down its assembly lines in Cambridge and Woodstock next week while it works to fix an accelerator problem in eight of its vehicles.

The company ordered a halt to production and sales of some models, including the Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4, after reports of sticky accelerator pedals.

The Lexus RX350 line in Cambridge will continue to operate.

The recall affects 2.3-million vehicles sold in the U.S. and 270,000 in Canada.

It's not clear when production will resume but the company says workers will not be sent home.

They have the option of receiving additional training, taking vacation or unpaid leave.

Toyota Canada employs nearly 6,000 people at the two plants.

The company will also shutdown production at some plants in the U.S.

The halt in production comes months after Toyota recalled 4.2 million vehicles due to gas pedals that could become trapped under floor mats, causing the vehicle to accelerate.

Toyota's accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4
2009-2010 Corolla
2009-2010 Matrix
2005-2010 Avalon
Certain 2007-2010 Camry
2010 Highlander
2007-2010 Tundra
2008-2010 Sequoia"

Tuggy24g said:
American made all the way!!!!!!!

I kind of laugh at that quote nowadays... a lot of Nissan, Toyota, and Hondas are built in the USA with mostly American made parts now, it's usually listed on a sticker on the windshield of new cars that says 90% or 100% etc. built in USA and xx% built in Japan. Meanwhile some American manufacturers are building their cars in places like Mexico and Canada, one of those very strange arguments.

If you guys got any money laying around now is the time to buy toyota stock. It will probably dip hard and be cheap but it will recover then sell. Watch what Warren Buffet does and learn.
brian

Screw toyota , I dont care that Americans work in their plants , the profits go overseas . If you live in japan , drive a japanese car , if you're lucky enough to live in this part of the world you drive a North American car , get it ?
Remember Pearl Harbor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor