Oil Well

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Been a regular user of Royal Purple for some time now, and NO!! this is not a plug for the product or mfgr. I went with them because they offered both the oil and the matching filters and I had reached the point with my motors where decomposed dino sh*t didn't seem to be oil enough, if that statement makes sense of sorts.
On my last visit to my local indie Speed Shop the counter rep advised me that the Purple People were phasing out their line of filters, which knowledge bummed me out severely. Now, before anyone suggests "Fr**, not only NO! but Hell NO!!. Ever since they elected to put that tar and sand mixture on their filter bodies as some of get a grip aid, plus supposedly gone offshore with their manufacturing, I have shunned them. The last filter of that brand that I ever used had to be chiseled off the motor using a long drift punch and hammer as it flat refused to budge any other way and lacked the ability to accept a normal filter can socket.

At the shop, I was shown a K an** filter which has a sheet metal hex nut tack welded to its bottom that a socket would get placed on during that last 1/2-3/4 turn for snug. That scares me. My name isn't Ah-nie but I know for a fact that if I fit Long Arm with the correct 6 pt socket and put him to the task of removing that filter, there is an even money chance that that puny piece of tinfoil will get torn off before the filter budges and am not using the two grunts and a groan method of tightening up them either. Plus, in all this, I am not all that sure where they assemble their filters. Can anyone suggest a good old AMERICAN MADE Oil Filter that I can go out and buy? I'd even take a genuine made in Taiwan item because they have at least gotten the bugs out of most of their industries and anything that I buy that doesn't end up putting my money in Mao Se Yuan Hung Low's pocket makes me happy.

Nick

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
At the shop, I was shown a K an** filter which has a sheet metal hex nut tack welded to its bottom that a socket would get placed on during that last 1/2-3/4 turn for snug. That scares me. My name isn't Ah-nie but I know for a fact that if I fit Long Arm with the correct 6 pt socket and put him to the task of removing that filter,
I have been using K & N filters for years on my Monte but I also have an easy access dual remote set up but when installing or removing I just use an open end wrench and just get it snug like any other filter but removing is way easier with the nut on there.

Reactions: 1 user

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I was surprised that most recent amsoil and wix filters were made in the USA, and I think the amsoil and royal purple are the exact same minus colors. With how much relabeling, outsourcing and company purchasing goes on, it probably changes day to day though.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hastings, metal end caps with good filter media and Made in the USA. Unfortunately Wix is made at many different locations in the World.

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
If you decide to go with K&N, get the ps3002 without the wrench on nut, its like 1/2 price of the one with the nut

• Informative

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I drive by his shop nearly everyday, years ago when I stopped in to by a carb spacer he showed me his then new oil filters and the differences between his and other brands which he had sitting there all cut open. It was interesting to see how cheaply made some of these name brand ones are made.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Got a reply back from Royal Purple and it seems they are still in the filter business only its the how of the distribution that has changed. Their filter manufacturer is a company called Champion Labs which is an American firm. Instead of Royal Purple filters being stocked at their production facility, the filter manufacturer, Champion, is now both the manufacturer and the national distributor, meaning that retailers and vendors get to order from them direct. And, if you dig the alternative, apparently Amazon carries the line as well! All this doesn't immediately help me up here but where there is availability there is a way.

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor