ok new idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

will6318

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
STATEN ISLAND NY
I just came across a '75 454 what do you guys think of putting this in an 87 monte? for those of you who don't know the car has a 9" rear and a th400. What iwant to know is, how hard is it to swap a bbc in? Oh and how much work do you guys think the motor will need to get the car into the 10's

ya might wanna check the drag/heavy mods section on that one.

You might want to lurk around on MalibuRacing.com. Same basic car and I know some of these guys have "been there, done that". Should be able to answer most anything you'd want to know.

Far as I've been told thus far headers are the only major obstacle, in that they have to be for a BBC G Body and the driver side has to be assembled in the car (a tube or 2 go around the steering shaft). And valve cover clearance. I've been told if I run low profile valve covers I'll be alright. I might be wrong and would love for someone to tell me if I am cause I'm planning on putting a 454 in my 87 LS. I know I've only got less then 1000 on my LT1 since I yanked the 4.3 but I drove my buddy's 79 with a 396 in it and I gotta have a big block. It'll prolly be a year or two tho 😢

bbc monte carlo

I have a 86 with a 540 alcohol motor. I use a conventional solid mount and tall sheet metal valve covers with no problems. As far as the headers, I have been running a set of Hooker super comps that have worked great. I'm needing a bigger set for this motor but these headers worked great for my 468 motor. Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

bbc monte

Oh and as far as a 10 second car goes my first big block in the car was a pump gas 468 that ran 8.58 in the thousand foot (about 10.60 in the 1/4) with only stock 781 oval port heads and a mild solid roller cam (268-278 @ .050 .720 lift). This was all motor, no nitrous, but was on a 10.5 inch slick.

The hooker super comps slip right in from the bottom. I dont know about the a/c box I dont have one.

I figured they would, but thought I'd put it out there. Did you have a hoist to use? We did it in a driveway, so clearance was limited. We couldn't get the car jacked up high enough when I helped do it on my buddys car, so we had to hoist the motor back out about 6 inches to get them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor