Olds 12 Bolt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm looking at a 12 bolt rear on craigslist. It came out of a 70 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I can see the cover is smooth, doesn't have the lip or bulge in it. Now my question is, is this the 12 bolt that is actually onll a 10 bolt?

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Early 70's BOP did use 10 bolt guts in 12 bolt housings,I dont know if there is any way to tell without popping off the rear cover and counting the bolts in the carrier

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Yup , 10 bolt guts , believe it or not Joe Mondello bought one from me years ago. He must have figured a way to put good guts in it!?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
jrm81bu said:
I'm looking at a 12 bolt rear on craigslist. It came out of a 70 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I can see the cover is smooth, doesn't have the lip or bulge in it. Now my question is, is this the 12 bolt that is actually onll a 10 bolt?

This is a Type O axle, only used in 1967-1970 Cutlass/442. As you correctly note, it has an 8.5" ring gear held on with TEN bolts. The Chevy 12 bolt axle has an 8.875" ring gear held on with TWELVE bolts. Parts for the Type O axle - particularly gears and posi units - are VERY difficult to find.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Thanks for confirming what I thought guys. Almost jumped the gun on that one but then thought "wait a minute".

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
One nice feature about them is they have bolt-in axles instead of the C-clips...

I was trying to sell a complete one I had last year, and almost instantly sold just the posi-carrier for the full price I was asking for the whole rear!

Cuttin up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2010
Powhatan, VA
jrm81bu said:
Thanks for confirming what I thought guys. Almost jumped the gun on that one but then thought "wait a minute".

i did the same thing the first time i crawled under my wife's 68 cutlass. i was so excited, then so so sad. ha ha

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Keep looking you'll score something good...Only depends how much you wanna spend...I scored my 12 bolt on E-Bay a few years back for $800.00...I think it was a steal 8)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
This one was listed for 200 bucks. Kinda why I was gonna jump on it. I know of another one farther away for 350, but I doubt I can scrape up that much cash.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
You know it may not hurt to go and check it out,There is nothing saying that someone in the past hasnt swapped out the rear with a different one. Just because the guy pulled it from a 70 cutlass doesnt mean its the original rearend.If its not a long way away go and pull the cover and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor