olds 307 knocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Haven't done much with it lately. But i did take a recording of the sound and showed my boss at work (he use to build a lot of race engines) he thinks i wiped a cam lobe or possibly broken push rod, rocker, lifter maybe. Something in the valvetrain. This weekend im going to do another tear down but of the upper end and do some inspecting. Being colder out now the noise is much louder. Knock at idle. Holds through when you rev. And still there back at idle.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
95% sure its the lifters. I pulled rocker arms and pushrods on 8. Noise still there. Removed 6. Noise went almost away, Still very very faintly there though. Shut it off and it sounds like something rattling faintly

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Did you actually remove the flex plate to inspect near the bolt holes? if not, some times you can pry it forward and backwards,side to side while some one holds the crank still,listen for slight ting noise or any movement...

does the engine back fire or miss generally with a tapping sound would lead me to look at valve train (could also use a vacuum gauge to see if the needle jumps indicating valve train issues.(bigger cam in engine can mislead vacuum test)

with push rods out the lifter have no way to move back down and ride on the cam, making noise, still could be a collapsed lifter ?!!

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
I didn't remove the flexplate. I did pry on it. I pulled the rockers, pushrods, and lifters out. I dissasambled a few lifters and found everything intact. I dissasembled 4. Intake and exhaust on 8 and on 6 the ones from 8 popped up upon removing the clip. The ones from 6 did not i had to tap them a bit to get them apart. Thats the only thing i seen different. I am going to replace all of them. My guess one or two wernt priming propperly. I inspected valve springs and nothing was broke.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Thought i was on to something. Guess not. Its narrowed down to cyl # 6. I cleaned all my lifters and inspected. I get more oil in the heads now. But the noise is still there. Heres what i did. I removed the spark plug wire from cyl # 6 and the noise was gone. What do you suppose that means?

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
ERIC87442 said:
Thought i was on to something. Guess not. Its narrowed down to cyl # 6. I cleaned all my lifters and inspected. I get more oil in the heads now. But the noise is still there. Heres what i did. I removed the spark plug wire from cyl # 6 and the noise was gone. What do you suppose that means?

means its a #6 rod knock most likely or a wrist pin possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor