Olds 350 belt squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I bought a 88 cutlass supreme classic last week with a built olds 350 and th350 trans out of a 72 cutlass. When driving it the belt squeals horribly and at idle it's fine. The previous owner put aftermarket 2 groove aluminum pulleys on the water pump and crank. I searched the forum and learned about the famous ac delete then the belt squeals issue. What I'm confused on is if I get a bracket to move the alternator to the passenger side I'm not changing anything besides the location of the alternator because I only have the 2 groove water pump pulley and crank pulley. What do I need to make this setup work? Right now Im embarrassed to drive the car because the belt is so loud. The previous owner also told me that he put a bigger water pump on. How do I know which one it is and could that have some affect on the problem? I can post some more pictures this afternoon if needed. 
DSC_0108.JPG

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Right now the alternator is being driven by the belt pulling it from the crank. Moving it to the other side it is being driven by the belt pulling from the water pump. I always used a 2 groove power steering pump with the left hand alternator mount. Is your alternator only being driven by the waterpump?
Also an alternator that is operating at maximum capacity is harder to turn than one that isn't. Underdrive pulleys can make squealing worse as well.

Last edited:

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Right now there is one belt from the waterpump to the alternator. And one belt that goes from the crank, waterpump and power steering. I think im missing something simple here cause I'm confused. If you run a 2 groove power steering pump do you have 2 identical belts driving it, then one from the water pump to the alternator?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
If you have a 1 groove power steering pulley then its belt runs on it, the crank and water pump, the alternator belt should run on the crank, water pump and alternator.

If you have a 2 groove power steering pulley then its belt should run on it, the crank and the water pump, the alternator belt runs on the crank, water pump, power steering pump and alternator.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Alright so with the setup I have now will getting a belt that from the crank, water pump and alternator fix the squeal or do I need to move it to the passenger side for that? If I move the alternator I believe this is the bracket I would need.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/330457270588?nav=SEARCH
Is it just a direct bolt on? Thank you for all the help with my pretty basic questions.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I was going to recommend the parts place for the passenger side alternator bracket that you need but after clicking on your eBay link, I noticed that it's one of their listings. Good guys to deal with & good products. Anywho, it is a direct bolt on and should do the trick. Make sure to also get the correct belts and the new alternator belt should route around the alt, wp & krank.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Alright so the bracket is ordered and now I play the waiting game. Went and got the belt I think I need. Looks like it would be the correct size to route to the passenger size. Thanks for all the help. Guess the car is gonna have to sit in the garage for a week or so.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Can someone please post a picture of the belt routing with the alternator on the passenger side? I thought I had this figured out but apparently not. Put the new alternator bracket on and now all the belt grooves line up with each other. Does that mean I have no choice but to put a 2 groove pulley on the power steering pump?
DSC_0132.JPG
DSC_0133.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor