olds 350 starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcray6262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2010
just got my old 350 hooked up with a holley street avenger 670 and i have not got it started yet.....All it does is backfire(like shooting flames out of the carb) never started but have feeling timing is off..
any advice on how to troubleshoot this.....all advice is very much appreciated...thanks

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Check to make sure you put the wires on the cap in a counter clockwise rotation. Lots of people get it confused with Chevy which is clockwise.

If that is correct, make sure you set top dead center on the compression stroke when you dropped the distributor in.

Carcray6262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2010
not sure what u mean when u said wires on the cap have to be in a counter clockwise rotation? Do u mean to have all the 90 degree boot in clockwise rotation..

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Carcray6262 said:
not sure what u mean when u said wires on the cap have to be in a counter clockwise rotation? Do u mean to have all the 90 degree boot in clockwise rotation..

Looking at the distributor from the top, the rotor spins counterclockwise in an Olds distributor. This is opposite of a Chevy. You need to put the plug wires on the cap with the firing order going counterclockwise (1-8-4-3-5-6-5-7-2). Chevy-centric people often do it backwards.

awsom83

n00b
Jun 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
I might be kind of late for this post but it sounds like you might be 180 of on your timing. I am not real familiar with Olds engines and there timing but it sounds just like a chevy engine being 180 off. Hope this might help...

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
joe_padavano said:
Carcray6262 said:

Looking at the distributor from the top, the rotor spins counterclockwise in an Olds distributor. This is opposite of a Chevy. You need to put the plug wires on the cap with the firing order going counterclockwise (1-8-4-3-5-6-5-7-2). Chevy-centric people often do it backwards.

The proper firing order for the v8 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 you switched the 6 and 5

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
kdubs482 said:
joe_padavano said:
Carcray6262 said:

Well, he didn't really switch them, just added an extra #5 cylinder :lol:

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
dan2286 said:
kdubs482 said:
joe_padavano said:

Well, he didn't really switch them, just added an extra #5 cylinder :lol:

Yeah, I guess I fat-fingered the 6... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor