Olds 403 power steering belt issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djdavila1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 24, 2017
Hey everyone so i have a olds 403 in my 82 cutlass and ever since i bought the car i have had constant issues with my powersteering belt wearing too fast (within a month or two) ive attempted to align the pulleys and multiple different belt sizes but still go through them like its nothing. Any way to fix this? Ps this car has no ac compressor

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Take a couple of pictures from the side, where you think it looks aligned an post them.

Are you sure your crank pulley hasn't walked out? Also make sure the steering pump is fasten down so it can't vibrate or flex when running.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
make sure everything is lined up properly.. on mine I had taken it apart to paint the brackets, and theres a thick spacer washer that goes in there between the bracket and the pump to line it up correctly, and had fallen out when I wasn't looking. Couldn't figure out why it didn't look right until we looked it up in the books. found it wedged next to battery.

Also: is it originally an ac car with an ac waterpump/pulley setup? if so you might want to put a non-ac water pump and pulley on there. IIRC not having the belt can cause tensioning issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Show us your set up. Usually if the belts aren't aligned on an Olds V8, wear isn't a problem, they flip off on the road or come off the pulleys and get ripped in half. With the A/C removed usually the alternator with slip till it burns right off, not the power steering belt. There were many different set ups used by Oldsmobile for their V8, I have mixed and matched the pulleys but everything must be in close alignment.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor