olds 455 build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Do the math on the aluminum heads if u want to go that way before you even start work on those. I found out that it was only about a 20 dollar difference from rebuilding the stock heads and buying new aluminum heads. Plus the aluminum save 50lbs of weight off the front end just on the engine. By the way a big block olds motor is less weight then a big block chevy any day even if both are stock.

85_455_cutty

Greasemonkey
Apr 27, 2006
Hutchinson Ks
I found a 68 455 thats running its in a 68 olds 98 its suppose to be in really awesome condition and it has the c heads. He wants 700 for the engine and transmission. Good buy?

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
C heads are just about as good as u can get that are not rare. 700 is not bad see what is done to it. (mileage, can you hear or see it run before u buy it, EXT,) ask if is stock or what.

85_455_cutty

Greasemonkey
Apr 27, 2006
Hutchinson Ks
This is what the guy sent me about it "i have a perfect 1968 455,still in a running and titled 68 olds 98 sedan. whole car for 900, drive on trailer or 700 for engine and transmission. Has desirable "c" casting heads." Im guessing its stock.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Lots of full sizers had C heads, and were fitted with two barrel carbs and freeway gears. It was called the 'turnpike cruiser' package. That 2bbl is easy enough to remedy though... :D

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Ya sounds stock doesn't sound like to bad of a deal. You can put the 68 block in your car and drive it. Then build your old block as time and money come and go, or use the rest of your 2 grand for headers, intake, or whatever. 68 blocks are pretty good if i remember right that was before the emissions crap was on there that was about 1971 or 72. The 68 C heads do not have harded valve seats in them.

85_455_cutty

Greasemonkey
Apr 27, 2006
Hutchinson Ks
if i get it id deffinatley want to do headers and stuff i have a hard time waiting lol. Is hardend valves good or bad? I only know a little about engines im just learning as i go. Another guy said he has a 68 455 rocket in an olds 88 thats running good and its 500 bucks for the whole car.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
You will need hardened valve seats if you are running unleaded gasoline.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
BrownGP83 said:
You will need hardened valve seats if you are running unleaded gasoline.

I've run Olds B-code heads with stock unhardened valve seats in a daily driver for years. Yes, you will likely need to do a valve job more often (80,000 miles instead of 100,000 miles) but hardened seats are not mandatory.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
try and push him on the price see if he'll come down. Try a company called Kooks custom headers i have them and they are nice but they make some that go in the frame that doesn't limit steering like other headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor