Olds 455 Gbody swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Hi all,
Got the rebuilt 455 with mild cam bolted to the TH400 and installed in my Cutlass this weekend.
Looking at it now, that was just the tip of the iceberg! I have a box full of 455 and another of 307 accessories and brackets to figure out.
Also, with the Quadrajet and Edelbrock intake, what do I use for accelerator bracketry? I have essentially nothing. Same for th400 shift bracketry, I have a column shifter and want to keep it, just have to figure out what parts to source. Any information from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
That seems to be the hardest part with any of these swaps. I am looking to put a 454 in a malibu and trying to collect parts from a 70-72 for brackets and stuff.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That seems to be the hardest part with any of these swaps. I am looking to put a 454 in a malibu and trying to collect parts from a 70-72 for brackets and stuff.
Might be more of a challenge but thought about '73-'76 A body for everything? Even '71-'76 B's, most likely wagons. But most newer trucks should be able to help.

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
If you went with Edelbrock heads on that 455 you're definitely going to run into problems with the brackets and pulleys

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
When I had a 455 in my elcamino, it came from a 73 olds 98 iirc. I used all the stock accessory brackets, except used my factory alternator, and the power steering pump I switched the back fitting so it had the correct oring fitting. I also switched the shifter bracket off of the turbo 350 I had in there before to the turbo 400 and my shifter worked perfectly.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The A/C brackets off your 307 will not fit the 455, due to deck height. You need to match the water pump length with the correct pulleys. Unfortunately, you can't just run the alternator and power steering off the 307 Vin Y without the A/C. You can mix and match pulleys and water pumps with creativity and washers to space out accessories fo belts to line up. The non A/C brackets and a 5.6" water pump is the easiest swap. The 307 throttle cable bracket should work fine.

Reactions: 1 users

tommytpk

Apprentice
Nov 18, 2014
Couple other questions:
What do those who have done this swap recommend for a starter, and a radiator? I am going fan/clutch, no electric fans for me.
Thank you!
Tom

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Either the factory heavy duty or an aftermarket mini starter. The Powermaster and Ebay generic starters have been good. The Summit one has a very finicky power connection, overnighter the connection and it is toast. If you don't mind trimming the core a bit, designed for the earlier A body, get this rad, easily cools my 403. Also use a 6 or 7 blade clutch fan in place of the 307 5 blade.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
When I did the ‘75 455 in my Olds I used the stock starter. No headers though , and a 1000cca battery. Have the heat shield on it too.and like you just a stock a/c style fan clutch.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor