Oldsmobile 350 Dual Exhausts in a 80 G Body El Cam!no

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You can offset the cost of the exhaust system by using a Summit or Jegs G-body dual kit, both of which are mandrel-bent. The Summit kit is made by Heartthrob in Minnesota, so if you are a Made in USA fan, I recommend that kit over Jegs which is 'imported'. I have to go back an review your threads, but I am guessing that you are keeping the BOP transmission that was behind the 3.8. If so, the TH350 dual-hump crossmember should fit just fine and enable the true duals. The remaining expense is custom-bending manifold extensions to match your Olds. Maybe Chuck and JWobble can collaborate. Fewer custom exhaust shops in New Mexico....

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The Summit kit is made by Heartthrob in Minnesota, so if you are a Made in USA fan, I recommend that kit over Jegs which is 'imported'.
From everything I came across checking in on the Jegs kit last year it's a Heartthrob kit. All three use the same "test" car pics & instructions for the kits.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Ah. I spoke to the Heartthrob folks about a dual kit for the K10, having bought similar systems via JC Whitney 15-20 years ago. I mentioned the G-body kits, whether they could make me behind-the-wheel tailpipes. The guy laughed and said, WE made those for Summit and Jegs, though Jegs is now getting them overseas.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
I got a set of Sanderson headers, a Pypes regal style 2.5" system and tied in the drops. Took a double hump crossmember with a slight modification, elongated the slot for the trans. 82 cutlass with Olds power 200R4 combo. I played at it and still had it in in a day.

Reactions: 1 users

Oldscarnut

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I had the custom 2" duals off my 70S Cutlass with manifolds, off a 260 on my 88 Cutlass. I actually had an all 2.5" custom downpipes into a compact X pipe, in place of the Y pipe, into a Hooker G body cat back system, all through the passenger side hump. It was with Sanderson shorty headers but manifolds have similar placement. I actually have it off in my shop, so I can take pics. I put the 2" duals and manifolds back on the Olds 350 in my 70S. The 2.5" was droning and blah on the 70 Cutlass, sounded amazing on my 88, which is why it is going back on. Plus it made a big difference in the higher rpms on the Olds 260 in my 88 Cutlass. You could try the Ramair Restorations 2.5" downpipes with manifolds, work with A and F bodies. A G body is tighter by the A arms and nearly everywhere else. Good luck.

I have it from a good source NOT to use 2.5, but rather 2 or 2.25 so that makes it much better. The entire part of this project was to get the rumble of the W31 and W30 with twice pipes. I'm following the 68 system and plugging it into the 80 El Camino as I can. The mufflers and bells are definitely going to be OEM for 1968. The 442's were 2"

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe the factory 442 is 2.25" down pipes into 2" tail pipes. My dual 2" sounds good but definitely kills top end power.

Oldscarnut

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I got a set of Sanderson headers, a Pypes regal style 2.5" system and tied in the drops. Took a double hump crossmember with a slight modification, elongated the slot for the trans. 82 cutlass with Olds power 200R4 combo. I played at it and still had it in in a day.

That's good info. I will spend some time in catalogs to save ...My project is over $6K now and my wife is threatening to stay! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Ah. I spoke to the Heartthrob folks about a dual kit for the K10, having bought similar systems via JC Whitney 15-20 years ago. I mentioned the G-body kits, whether they could make me behind-the-wheel tailpipes. The guy laughed and said, WE made those for Summit and Jegs, though Jegs is now getting them overseas.

Heartthrob...is that the woodpecker smoking a cigar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor