omg roof rot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1Yola

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2008
bought an 84 cutty, rained one day saw my back floor wet.. i paniced.. just wanted to know how much i would probably have to spend tog et this repaired><

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I did it myself with a welder, and a few pieces I cut from the roof of another car. It is an involved job. How involved depends on how bad it is. Also, water on the back floor is not only indicative of a roof issue, it could be a firewall leak since the floors are ducted to the rear floor drains which are closed at the factory. Most older cars have some sort of sealing issue with the firewall due to dried up old caulk that no longer seals.

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
I am having similar issues, however my problem is mainly where the windshield and t-tops meet, and the center channel of the roof...i have a couple of options but would much rather just chop a good roof off and weld it to my car......

anyone know if all gbody t-top roofs are interchangeable? thanx guys

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I don't think they all interchange. Then again, I may be wrong because the seam runs from the top of the quarter window back, the roof is only about an inch down from the top.

Here's a pic I took while fixing some roof rust and cracked seams where the roof joins the B and C pillars:

l_2c382cdd7627ec84a14c91338f7b928d.jpg

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
One notorious spot where these cars leak water on to the floor is where the wire harness for the CCC module in the front passenger floor well goes through the firewall. For how little water will leak through it in a rain storm, its amazing how wet the carpets will get and stay.
-UT-

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
Theres is a nice monte in the jy with a very well kept t top roof, the only well kept thing on the poor mc.....looks very similar, the only piece i would need is the top windshield metal piece and the center rail, which i already have off of another cutlass, maybe the rear mounting area where the center rail meets the metal roof......

imma try it, and a full roadster would be nice, but i love, absolutely love my car with t-tops....cousin had one when i was too young too drive and when i found this one i jumped on it sight unseen...

Wake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2008
I have the famous wet floor in the back problem too. I always thought it was the door seal, since a little water comes in when i take it thru the car wash.

Are these 'closed at the factory' floor drains capable of being opened up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor