On the fence about HP Tuners?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The pro version incorporates the wideband as an input, you take that and write a little calculation for a chart with it to do what I mentioned above, tells you how far you are off. Pro version is the only one you can do it with.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
The pro version incorporates the wideband as an input, you take that and write a little calculation for a chart with it to do what I mentioned above, tells you how far you are off. Pro version is the only one you can do it with.
What about using the AC signal for logging wideband data with standard HPtuners? Is that more hassle than it is worth? Looking to buy hptuners for a future turbo ls build......if I can have the same functionality and save $250.....I'd rather invest that money into a cam.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
How much is HP Tuners to purchase to work on a Gen 4?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What about using the AC signal for logging wideband data with standard HPtuners? Is that more hassle than it is worth? Looking to buy hptuners for a future turbo ls build......if I can have the same functionality and save $250.....I'd rather invest that money into a cam.

EGR position input, AC pressure input, yeah any free 5V input, you just need to do a little math parameter creation to make the wideband input work but it works all the same.

The crap part about HPT these days is that the EPA yanked the tune cabinet from HPT's site and your balls are in HPT's vise when it comes to using the software in the future (you have to buy credits). If EPA decides HPTwizzlers violates some law they can creatively interpret you have a brick on your hands.

I have had HPT for 10 years and done maybe 5-7 cars. My next swap car is going to have Holley, Halltech or something else. If I want to moderately tune an existing LS car or do something very stock I will still use HPT, but if I didn't already own HPT I wouldn't use it on a future swap or race oriented project.

By the time you buy a wideband ($200) , HPT software ($500), cut down the harness (Free to $200 +time), and try to learn how to use the software you are even with what a $1100-$1300 TermX holley can do and the TermX is easy to use software wise and has features that HPT doesn't have. HPT is like banging your head against a wall when you are trying to tune in idle air and fueling, random DBW cutouts, spark tables, Speed density OS updates, finding the right ECM if you want to do flex and DBW, ect, ect.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This ^^^ was the reason for my question. I agree that a stock build doesn't need much, but trying to get any type of performance from a stock ECM is demanding IMO.

Hard to beat an aftermarket ECU for less than $1200.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
There are many nice new aftermarket ones out there now that some even self learn. I started back in 2008, HP Tuners or EFI Live were the only two things available. Since then I've done over 50 vehicles, couple of LS Swapped Boats, and a few random bench tunes for people.

Stock GM PCM can push 8000 RPM and do quite a few other things like run a paddle shift Auto Trans, some other cool stuff. All what you wire in the harness, install in the car, and know what to do in the tune.. ;)
By the time you buy a wideband ($200) , HPT software ($500), cut down the harness (Free to $200 +time), and try to learn how to use the software you are even with what a $1100-$1300 TermX holley can do and the TermX is easy to use software wise and has features that HPT doesn't have. HPT is like banging your head against a wall when you are trying to tune in idle air and fueling, random DBW cutouts, spark tables, Speed density OS updates, finding the right ECM if you want to do flex and DBW, ect, ect.
That is why I've stuck with 2.24 BETA on a Laptop that I've had since 2012, that never gets connected to the internet and I have no desire to tune anything else with the other things you mentioned.. it keeps it simple.

How much is HP Tuners to purchase to work on a Gen 4?
Last I saw Pro was $650-ish, not sure what exactly it is. Gen 3/4 doesn't matter, just what version of the program you want to use. Like I mentioned in another post I'm using 2.24 BETA from like 2010, works amazing with Gen 3, newer versions have more stuff for Gen 4 opened up. I have friends with shops that have 7 different laptops with 7 different versions of the program depending on what they are working on.
Never did it that way but with the other mentioned info it's possible, if you can bring it in as a PID, display the numbers on the laptop, you can incorporate it into the datalogging and go from there.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If it works for you and you have the familiarity with it to accomplish what you want, then fine (no sarcasm). But when you start adding stuff, the aftermarket is much easier for this old ****. Boost controllers, transbrake, 2 step, nitrous, etc.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah my review is that HPT is GREAT for stock 5.3/6.0 swaps where you just need to change the fan speeds, rear end gear ratios or add some fueling due to headers. It's also great on a heads/cam type boltons for a 2012 camaro where the harness is very integrated into the car and the chassis is already factory LS.

HPT scanner is also great for diagnosing issues on many domestic OBD2 cars/trucks. I have found many issues with the scanner like intermittent O2 sensors on my winter beater, random misfires, diagnosing dead fuel pumps or times where the check engine light is too vague.

HPT really losses it's appeal when you are adding forced induction and trying to do more race oriented stuff, if you need to pay people to wire your swap, or if learning a moderately complex program language is not your thing. HPT isn't as complex as C++ or Java, but it's not Powerpoint or Word basic level.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I believe the older stuff is darn is basic. I have been involved minorly with local dirt circle track 4 cylinder guys. The older Sunbird 4 cylinder 2.2's are super easy to change the fueling and spark strategy to pickup another 45hp. But the newer version is beyond challenging IMO. You really need someone that has been to some HP Tuners training/schools because the mods needed aren't intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor