other than paint

jlat

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2013
hello peoples: The hood on my 86T needs paint and I was thinking of just getting it wrapped. Does anyone have experience with getting parts of a car wrapped. If so how's it holding up.
IBBY

much like having a car painted,you get what you pay for rings true.the cheaper stuff isn't AS uv resistant and that leads to issues removing it later on.some parts of the country wrapping isn't as popular so shop around see what's more cost effective painting the hood vs wrapping it.and yes wrapping is a faster turnaround usually.that paint jail's a mf.

Reactions: Rktpwrd and jlat
The thing is, a wrap isn't going to correct surface issues. If it;s a delamination issue or a peeler that's not going to work.

Guy at work had the roof of his Explorer wrapped about 5 years ago...it's a peeling mess now. Of course, he had it done black, and we're in Oklahoma

My thought is that if it needs to be stripped and primed, might as well finish the program and paint it.

IMO, wraps are great for advertising for a business on a new vehicle, older stuff not so much

Last edited:
When I bought my new fiberglass hood for my Monte, I talked to the owner of a high end wrap place and he told me for the wrap to work best it needs a good paint job to adhere to so I had someone just paint it instead.
20230901_190800.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor