out of commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Last night I was taking my heads off to take them to the machine shop to get screw in rocker arm studs installed after breaking one and them I see gouges in my cylinder bores. I don't get it because the car was running fine and wasn't making any funny noises.

The gouges are pretty deep and I doubt I can do anything about it. The engine had already been bored once and the cylinder walls are pretty bad looking. I drove it last summer took it on a 5 hour drive to the gm nationals without a hiccup so I don't get it.

The engine builder I took it to our I showed him the pics of the cylinders says a Wyatwrist pin may have slid out our the rings are done.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It looks like the pins did it, especially w/ the rounded edge. If your engine builder built that engine, I would say those are full floating pistons and the retaining clips didn't get put in. His bad!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Those are from wrist pins. Usually don't see multiple cylinders get done in...I personally would find a new builder.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
You need to pull it down and see if the pistons are hurt, you might get away with just a block.

That would be my lowest cost option and ideal situation.

I am probably answering my own question but would the crank bearings need to be replaced if getting a new block?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
IF - Big if, everything is ok - you would have to get a block and get it machined .030 over and at that point get a re-ring kit.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
That sucks. At least you dont have to worry about removing the spiral locks.

Rick_B_86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
Some of the metal filings from the cylinder walls may have made it's way into the bearings. For the peace of mind, I'd get new ones. You gotta have it all apart anyways. Also, I'd suggest checking all the surfaces of the crank where the rod and main bearing ride, make sure nothing is chewed up or rough.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Some of the metal filings from the cylinder walls may have made it's way into the bearings. For the peace of mind, I'd get new ones. You gotta have it all apart anyways. Also, I'd suggest checking all the surfaces of the crank where the rod and main bearing ride, make sure nothing is chewed up or rough.

I'm going to get new bearings after I get everything inspected providing everything is good.

Thanks for all the input guys

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor