Overhaul present carb or replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
My '82 GP came from the factory with a 4.1L V6 with a 4-barrel. Someone has changed the engine (I had a mechanic check the numbers on the engine and the VIN and they don't match) to what is believed to be a 3.8 V6. A lot of the emission hoses have been blocked off and some parts for that system have been removed. The carb. is not a 4-barrel, but looks like the Rochester DualJet one. I haven't checked to see what model number it is yet.

Lately my GP will start up fine and run on fast idle, but when you tap the gas pedal to get it off fast idle, it idles too slow ans dies. Sometimes it won't fire unless you keep the gas to the floor while cranking. And then sometimes it will start up again. I've sprayed the choke butterfly plate and all of the linkage a few times and that seems to get things working again for a while. Have had the spark plug wires (and plugs I believe) replaced and maybe the distributor cap and rotor (it's been over a year since that stuff was done, so memory doesn't serve me very well...). It seems to take about 5 mins. before you can get it off of fast idle.

Don't know if I should do a Sea Foam treatment down the carb, have the carb overhauled (the car has 100,720 miles on it) or have the carb. replaced w/ another DualJet. Really can't afford to do much, as the car needs new tires this year. It doesn't get driven much, and am sure that's part of the problem. Need to start driving it more!

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Maggie Ann

Nov 4, 2012
I have a good dual jet for that engine, I just removed it off of my old 3.8 V6 from my 1987 Regal. It ran great when I pulled it a couple days ago. Let me know if you are interested.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
I have a good dual jet for that engine, I just removed it off of my old 3.8 V6 from my 1987 Regal. It ran great when I pulled it a couple days ago. Let me know if you are interested.

How many miles is on the DualJet from your '87 Regal? Has it been overhauled? I'll need to see what the numbers are on my carb. to see what exact model it is. It may be a few days before I can check, as we've got a blizzard going on and the car sits outside (wish I had a garage!). Thanks for letting me know about your carb! Why did you pull it off? Did you go w/ a 4-BBL or something?

Nov 4, 2012
I never rebuilt the carb but the previous owner did. It ran great. It has 94,000 miles on it I believe. I pulled it because I am putting a V8 in the car.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
I never rebuilt the carb but the previous owner did. It ran great. It has 94,000 miles on it I believe. I pulled it because I am putting a V8 in the car.
Can you take some pics of the carb and have you put it in a bag or something, so dirt doesn't get into it? Thanks.

Nov 4, 2012
I'll get a few pictures in the morning. It's sitting on my desk at so I'm not worried about it getting dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor