paint trim question

Status
Not open for further replies.

squinky33

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2009
Dallas,Texas
hello guys i have a question corncering my 84 regal. I have silver/aluminium or chrome pieces on my car in certain areas. it has a vinyl top and a chrome rocker panel i'm taking off, what should i do with da silver, (etc.) pieces paint or powdercoat them black, I want a GNX look. could someone give me a few pointers on what should i do?
Thanx :D

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Rough them up with some 200-300 wetdry, then prime with primer filler, primer sealer, and whatever auto paint you want. Just pretend it's a painted surface. A lot of the small trim isn't real chrome.

The problem with chrome is when you start painting big pieces like bumpers (or your rocker panels for example) it will sometimes warp the paint.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
el_sonoma said:
Sand them with say, 320 grit, and use a trim black in a spray can or they come in quarts as well, JMO.

This is pretty much what the instructions say on the SEM trim black that I'm using. The parts that I have done look good, we'll see how it holds up.

el_sonoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 4, 2009
Pemberton, BC
dirtywhiteboy said:
This is pretty much what the instructions say on the SEM trim black that I'm using. The parts that I have done look good, we'll see how it holds up.

Is that what it says on the can? My eyes are getting bad, so I don't bother trying. :roll:
That's all I use for trim is SEM, good product!

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
you'd have to use EZ-Off oven cleaner to remove the clear anodized finish on the aluminum trim first, which is all the trim around the windows. that'll get you to the bare aluminum, then wipe away the ez-off residue with lacquer thinner, use a red scotchbrite to scuff the piece real good, then use a etch primer (i have good results with duplicolors etch primer, the green stuff) then let flash for 30 min i think the can says, then you can epoxy primer and then seal it, then paint...you can use rattle cans

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Just rough it up with paper and prime/spray = finish in less than an hour. There's no need for taking off the anodized layer as long as the primer will stick...as it should without trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor