PARTS ADVICE! help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
i have an 86 Monte carlo SS. it has a 327 bored out to 337. standard HEI ignition. built up 700 r4 trans and brodix aluminum heads. and a nice mild cam. before i added the heads, it ran a 13.55 1/4mi... i was curious wether its worth buying a MSD soft touch rev limiter box + MSD 2 step add on box. im wondering if it will pick up significant time.. im going to the track on colombus day (all are welcome - 200$ a car, Atco speedway, NJ) and im thinking about buying this.. but ill pass if its only going to give me like 1/10th of a second. plus its not even adding the advantage of the msd spark because it works with the standard HEI.. would it be a waste of $220 on jegs???

all advice welcome,
THanks in advance!!:)
questions about track welcome as well lol thanks again!

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
only benefit i see in most of the ignition boxes is the revlimiter. From what ive read and experimented with, they are a waste.

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
okay, i figured its a waste with out doing the whole ignition system. thanks for the help!

now whats your take on stroking the 337? a waste? or good investment? ive talked to people here and there, some say the 327is junk and dont waste your time/money on it. and some people seem to swear by the engine.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I have msd currently and have ran Hei on same motor other then a cleaner idle after 3000 rpm the msd performs just like an hei. As far as a two step the only time you would need thats is if you had a trans break it would keep motor in the rpm range needed for a good launch.

The 327 should make plenty of power to pull you in the 12's with the right parts. The 327 block has the same bore as a 350 and could always be converted to 383 stroker. The only thing you have to make sure is that is a large main 327 and not a small main. If small main you might not be able to do it. I would just make sure your cam is matched for the heads you installed. It all comes down to matched components if you get a perfect matched combo on the top end the bottom end will show it.

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
okay cool. thanks... as far as heads matched to the cam... would that be the lift of the cam matched to the valve springs? im not really sure where duration would come in to play with that... i mean im only 18 i think i know alot but theres also alot im not too sure of and would really like to figure out, yanno? thanks for your help man!

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
chevyGuy86 said:
okay cool. thanks... as far as heads matched to the cam... would that be the lift of the cam matched to the valve springs? im not really sure where duration would come in to play with that... i mean im only 18 i think i know alot but theres also alot im not too sure of and would really like to figure out, yanno? thanks for your help man!
You have brodix heads which ones. I meant cam matched to heads. What i mean is say your heads flow the best at 550 lift. You would want a cam as close to 550 lift or at it. Because if you heads flow a lot and your cam is small your not optimizeing the head to its full potentiol and the motor will most likely be lazy up top end of track. But if cam is to big car will be lazy in the begining of track but pull hard up stairs. That is not what you want because most of your e.t. Is determined within the first 660ft. Thats why you should match your cam to your heads ability having a head that say flows 325 cfm at 650 lift and a cam with a lift of 520 you in turned wasted your money on heads and mostlikely slowed the car down.

chevyGuy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2011
Long Island
okay, that makes sense. thanks for the tips.. i dont know if youve heard of bill mitchell, if not, hes a huge engine builder.. my neighbor used to work with him, and his son used to work at Shafiroff's, and thats where i got my 337 from(neighbors son) and he also recommended these heads for my car. so hes been a big help with this. last time i went to the track i ran a 13.55 at about 101 mph (stock 350 heads, &on M/T sportsman s/t street tires) im going to the track again on colombus day hoping to now be somewhere within the 12s with the new heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor