Passenger front wheel sticks out further than driver side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
My wagon is like that too. Right front sticks out more and the left rear sticks out more. I know it's there just from working on the thing so much, but no one else has ever said anything. It doesn't bother me since this is a beater.

Uamezcua

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
It's also possible that the frame is suffering from middle-age spread or sag. Sometimes the upper control arm mounts move in relation to each other as the car ages/goes flying over speed bumps/etc. The crossmember is not as stout as you might think, and like I said, it isn't unusual to see some change over time. It's more common in unitized construction (think Fox Mustang, and all those tower braces), but does happen in frame cars as well.

Point being, if one side needed a bunch more shims to achieve caster/camber within the desired range, that could account for SOME of the difference side to side,

FWIW, my 81 wagon is like that as well

The difference is a little over 3/4 of an inch. I did see they have offset upper control arm shafts to help with the scenario you described.

Uamezcua

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
If thre body and frame are aligned have you checked for any indication the front clip on the frame has been hit? If you measure the x for the front clip in the diagram that will tell you if the frame has been twisted

malibuframepic7ga.jpg
Awesome. Thank you for this. This well help me narrow it down.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The difference is a little over 3/4 of an inch. I did see they have offset upper control arm shafts to help with the scenario you described.

Remember, the bodies could move around a fair bit on the mounts when assembled.

Have you measured from top inside of wheel to a fixed point on the frame while car is at rest on the wheels? I'd start there, to see if the wheels are in a similar place side to side as they relate to the chassis, rather than the bolt-on sheetmetal. If that's good, then it's a sheetmetal fitment or frame beyond suspension issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor