passenger seat belt locked

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I guess the seatbelts in the '84 Monte have always been finicky, but the passenger seat belt is now locked. It will retract fully, but will not extend far enough to buckle up the passenger, so nobody is riding shotgun until I get it working.

Looking for insights. A brief look through the threads on this website did not reveal discussion on malfunction, just replacment. I have the torx t500 tool, and I can likely swap seat belt out of the project car into the working car.

The retractor levers in the door sills are good, they aren't broken. Just can't get seatbelt to extend.

Any advice, please help.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll suggest to get into the panel & see if there is anything is innerfering with the mechanism. Might be a simple fix.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'll suggest to get into the panel & see if there is anything is innerfering with the mechanism. Might be a simple fix.
Will do. Taking seat out now to access

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Works on the same principle as a ratchet strap. May have the restrainer spring bad or the clip is cocked and won’t release. Hope it’s simple. But you mentioned you have another one.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor