Passenger-side alternator mounting??? SBO 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,
So I recently went with an A/C delete along with the smog pump and got the infamous belt squeal that comes when you do this mod. For a while it was more or less livable after changing the belts. I got it to a point where hard accelerating it or a cold start is what causes it to squeal. I tried the candle wax trick, nothing. Then I tried Murray's Pomade
GQ_article2_can.jpg

Yes the hair pomade. That worked pretty good for a bit, but then I suppose the pomade would melt away and then I would recoat it. This last coating was pretty thick and seemed to work for only a little while. Now it will squeal most of the time when I moderately accelerate it. Woulda been a nifty trick if I got it right.
ANYWAY....
I wanted to know about switching the alternator on a factory Oldsmobile 307 to the passenger side as I hear that's the best way to get rid of the squeal. What am I looking to buy? Mounting brackets are a must, however do I need to look into getting a new alternator as well? What other hidden kinks might I get myself into when I attempt this?? Thank you!!
(EDIT): Will mounting brackets for a small block Chevy work too?
165165_1648912736806_1056570072_31430035_518463_n.jpg

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
try changing pulleys ive gone thru 3 used pulleys from the junk yard remember the pulley grooves do wear down which causes the slippage so try going with other pulleys see how that works for me there like 5 bucks at the junk yard

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
:bump:

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
The SBC alt mounts won't fit, to do the job right, you will need the alt brackets and pulleys. Those will most likely come from a Olds 350 thats where I found my last couple of sets. No need to change your Alt unless it is on it's way out.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
All you need is the brackets from a factory non-a/c car.
You can probably find them on eBay or at your local junkyard if they have some older Oldsmobiles...
There's 3 pieces you need. The lower bracket, the upper bracket, and the bar that supports the upper bracket.

3895230104_large.jpg

3895234011_large.jpg

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Blake442 said:
All you need is the brackets from a factory non-a/c car.
You can probably find them on eBay or at your local junkyard if they have some older Oldsmobiles...
There's 3 pieces you need. The lower bracket, the upper bracket, and the bar that supports the upper bracket.

3895230104_large.jpg

3895234011_large.jpg

Thanks so much for the information and the detailed photos. I was waiting to see when you would chime in. Thanks Blake442!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
All you need is a different pulley setup. I've run without A/C for years and never had a belt squeal. The issue is that the stock 307Y and 260 pulley's don't provide enough surface area to run the alternator and P/S without the A/C belt. The P/S pump pulley only has one groove on these engines where as the older 350/403/455's etc as well as the 307 Vin 9 engines all used dual groove P/S pulleys.

If you swapped to a set of these pulley's you wouldn't need to move the alternator.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
FE3X CLONE said:
All you need is a different pulley setup. I've run without A/C for years and never had a belt squeal. The issue is that the stock 307Y and 260 pulley's don't provide enough surface area to run the alternator and P/S without the A/C belt. The P/S pump pulley only has one groove on these engines where as the older 350/403/455's etc as well as the 307 Vin 9 engines all used dual groove P/S pulleys.

If you swapped to a set of these pulley's you wouldn't need to move the alternator.
WIll this work alright? It came up in the results for a VIN 9 Olds 307
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...power+steering+pump+pulley&pt=02870&ppt=C0031
300-125-007.jpg

If so, just this, and another belt to go from P/S pulley to crankcase???

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yep, that's the pulley. However I don't know if it will line up properly with the 307 Y pullies. I know it lines up fine with the pullies from other Olds engines that originally came with a 2 groove PS pulley.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
So far so good. I went with using Passenger-Side alternator brackets. Belt squeal is gone and now I have plenty of access to the Power Steering not to mention being embarrassed to start my car in the morning, or get it passed 2000 rpm :oops: . Thanks a lot G-Body people! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor