Pics of your trunk mounted battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm looking to get some ideas on mounting my battery in the trunk. I want to keep the spare tire and I was thinking of mounting the battery box/tray on the right side between the quarter and the spare tire dip. Anyone got pics of your trunk mounted batteries?

I wanna see some pics too. Might do this later in the summer.

but i dont have a "trunk"...is there any "cubbie hole" mounted batteries?

anyone?

I have 2 batteries in my engine bay, but the spare tire hole is a great place to mount a battery. I haven't seen any in a g-body but I was considering adding an extra one in that hole -- namely, a Kinetic dry cell ("Powercell") battery -- as they come in different shapes and sizes, surely one of them will fit nicely in there, plus they are ultra low resistance like a capacitor and behave like a deep cycle as well. Great battery.
KIN-KHC1800.jpg

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/produc ... KHC600&C=1

I'm thinking of just mouting it on that little patch between the passenger quarter panel and the spare tire holder. I still want to have the spare tire, so its either where I just mentioned or to the far left on the driver side of the trunk. I have two subs that use up that little shelf area that raises up from the bottom of the trunk to just behind the back seat.

I plan on relocating my battery to the rear very soon also. And was planning now using the spare tire hump. But if I do anything to my car. I only want to do it once. And this will be my future drag car. So I looked at NHRA's rule on mounting batteries in the trunk. And I got this:

If you do choose to mount the battery in the trunk, it must be mounted to the frame or frame structure with a minimum of two 3/8-inch diameter bolts and a metal hold-down strap. The supplied J-hooks are not allowed. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver compartment. This means a bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment. The battery can also be located in a sealed metal box, constructed of a minimum of .024-inch-thick steel or .032-inch-thick aluminum.

So that better much ruined the spare tire hump idea for me. But thats some food for thought.

I'm going more for a pro touring setup than I am actually drag. Not saying there won't be the occassional street take off here and there to fight off the rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor