MALIBU Picture of an 81 malibu header panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
GM shows the same part number for 80-81 header panel, (different for 78-79) but says for '81, "IT MAY BE NEC TO DRILL HOLES FOR MTG. GRILLE ON SOME MODELS"

I wouldn't order something on backorder without calling them to find out how long the backorder.
No I agree there. The backorder is listed till the end of June so it’s not going to happen soon. Especially since I don’t NEED them right this minute and I need all 3 parts to install it. Do not wish to be in a holding pattern for 4 months to find out they cant supply them.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My 81 has the point too. Should be the same.
Looks like you also eliminated and filled the emblem hole in the header panel. I always thought that they looked goofy.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Looks like you also eliminated and filled the emblem hole in the header panel. I always thought that they looked goofy.
Yep. I also removed the landau top. I was lucky that my car had regular b pillar trim from the factory. Hopefully I’ll narrow my bumpers at some point like you did too.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yep. I also removed the landau top. I was lucky that my car had regular b pillar trim from the factory. Hopefully I’ll narrow my bumpers at some point like you did too.
Yeah, I was never a big fan of landau tops and B- pillars.

v8liveson

n00b
Mar 19, 2018
Minneapolis/St Paul Area
I also put an 81 grille in my 1980 because I liked the looks better. I did not have to modify anything. I even left the 1980 headlight bezels on. Some of the lines don't line up exactly from the grille to the bezels, but you really can't tell unless you stare at it long enough.

toner283

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2008
Durham, Ontario, Canada
The 80 and 81 grills have the mounting screws in slightly different places. Most of the header panels, you will see the little oval plastic bushing where the screw goes in (after removing the grill). Close to that location on most of the 80/81 header panels I have seen, there will be a little depression where the bushing would go in for the other year of grill. You will either have to open up those holes and move the plastic bushing or make new holes and put another plastic bushing in those holes to hold the screws. Screwing directly into the fiberglass is not really a good plan because eventually the screws will work their way loose and the grill will fall out. And as several other people have said the headlight bezels are different between 80 and 81. They will physically bolt in place of each other but they look goofy because they don't line up properly with the wrong year of grill.

The pictures that 80Malibu posted show the black accent line that goes around the bezels and across the top and the bottom of the grill on an 81. On an 80 that black accent line only goes around the perimeter of the bezel, not across the grill.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The 80 and 81 grills have the mounting screws in slightly different places. Most of the header panels, you will see the little oval plastic bushing where the screw goes in (after removing the grill). Close to that location on most of the 80/81 header panels I have seen, there will be a little depression where the bushing would go in for the other year of grill. You will either have to open up those holes and move the plastic bushing or make new holes and put another plastic bushing in those holes to hold the screws. Screwing directly into the fiberglass is not really a good plan because eventually the screws will work their way loose and the grill will fall out. And as several other people have said the headlight bezels are different between 80 and 81. They will physically bolt in place of each other but they look goofy because they don't line up properly with the wrong year of grill.

The pictures that 80Malibu posted show the black accent line that goes around the bezels and across the top and the bottom of the grill on an 81. On an 80 that black accent line only goes around the perimeter of the bezel, not across the grill.
That’s really detailed. Thanks guys for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor