pictures of your flat black paint jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
deerhunter said:
stpattys556.jpg

wow, pretty old post, but im a sucker for crappy rattle can paint jobs
i allways thought your car was grey haha

haha, maybe from sun fade, my wife swears its brown, i dunno. ill take a picture in the shade, or not directly in the sun and then we'll see how it looks. Your el camino is coming along nicely, man. I love how clean your engine bay is. did it come factory without a/c or did you swap the ac box for the heater only unit?

deerhunter said:
haha, maybe from sun fade, my wife swears its brown, i dunno. ill take a picture in the shade, or not directly in the sun and then we'll see how it looks. Your el camino is coming along nicely, man. I love how clean your engine bay is. did it come factory without a/c or did you swap the ac box for the heater only unit?
thanks man. and it came factory with just the heater unit. whoever bought the car from the dealer for the most random stuff added on it. like it came with bucket seats, floor shifter, no ac, a crappy single speaker radio, and no extra guages or vents.

i havent gotten to the point where im ready to paint mine yet, but i have decided to go with john deer blitz black, at about $40 a gallon. another member here suggested it and originally posted these pics on my thread. ill repost them here so you can get an idea of what it looks like. im not sure why some vehicles seem to be shiny and some are a flatter black with the same paint, but ill be looking into that.

heres a link to a thread about it on another forum. has some good shots of G-bodys in blitz black.
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 9&start=15

and heres another very interesting idea from may edition of popular hotrodding. ths guy painted his mustang with dupli-color black vinyl and fabric coating. heres a link to the article with pics. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/featur ... ewall.html

Attachments

• blitz black camaro.jpg
    blitz black camaro.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,459
  • blitz black truck.jpg
    blitz black truck.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,546
it does look nice in the article and im all for saving money, but if your going to take the time to prep it yourself, mask it your self and spray it. then you might as well, prep it right, do the body work to the best of your ability, seal it, prime it, block it and then base coat/clear it. after colorsand/buff, may be a few more steps and a little more money, but you may love it in the end.... if its a temp thing and the car will always be satin while you own it. then go for it...

i dont think i personally would go for the rustoleum paint job, but im pretty sure im gonna do the blitz back. from what research i have done it seems to be an forgiving product for beginners to spray. its also supposed to be very durable due to the fact that its formulated for farm implements that often spend a majority if not all of their lives out in the elements. im planning on spending some time trying to get my body as straight as possible with as little bondo as possible as well. i am by no means a expert mechanic or body man ( barely an amatuer... :rofl: ) , but i did grow up around a few of them, and i kind of have a "knack" for it so i have a fighting chance. my big goal is to do everything possible myself.
if you look at the two vehicles i posted with the blitz black paint, the camaro has a shinier finish than the truck, any idea why ? i would like mine to look like the camaro. wonder if its clear coated or maybe they just waxed it ?

lesbaldridge said:
i dont think i personally would go for the rustoleum paint job, but im pretty sure im gonna do the blitz back. from what research i have done it seems to be an forgiving product for beginners to spray. its also supposed to be very durable due to the fact that its formulated for farm implements that often spend a majority if not all of their lives out in the elements. im planning on spending some time trying to get my body as straight as possible with as little bondo as possible as well. i am by no means a expert mechanic or body man ( barely an amatuer... :rofl: ) , but i did grow up around a few of them, and i kind of have a "knack" for it so i have a fighting chance. my big goal is to do everything possible myself.
if you look at the two vehicles i posted with the blitz black paint, the camaro has a shinier finish than the truck, any idea why ? i would like mine to look like the camaro. wonder if its clear coated or maybe they just waxed it ?

A few things to keep in mind:
1: With any black paint job, you will have to work extra hard at getting everything flat, otherwise you will really see all the imperfections....so bodywork must be near perfect
2: I have read that it's actually more difficult to keep this type of paint looking good over time (maybe some who have done it can chime in)
3: You will not be able to wetsand and buff it (if you want to keep that flatter sheen) or wax it, so application must be pretty good with no drips or dirt in the paint
4: I am pretty sure that if you want to repaint the car later on with a standard urethane, the Blitz Black will have to be completely stripped.
As far as the sheen, they sell Blitz Black in spray cans, why not buy a can and test it out on something? If you are sure you want this look, I say go for it. Just make sure it's what you really want and not a way to save some cash, because in the end, to do it right you will probably be into it more (time) than a regular paint job.

67rstbkt said:
lesbaldridge said:

A few things to keep in mind:
1: With any black paint job, you will have to work extra hard at getting everything flat, otherwise you will really see all the imperfections....so bodywork must be near perfect
2: I have read that it's actually more difficult to keep this type of paint looking good over time (maybe some who have done it can chime in)
3: You will not be able to wetsand and buff it (if you want to keep that flatter sheen) or wax it, so application must be pretty good with no drips or dirt in the paint
4: I am pretty sure that if you want to repaint the car later on with a standard urethane, the Blitz Black will have to be completely stripped.
As far as the sheen, they sell Blitz Black in spray cans, why not buy a can and test it out on something? If you are sure you want this look, I say go for it. Just make sure it's what you really want and not a way to save some cash, because in the end, to do it right you will probably be into it more (time) than a regular paint job.

Thanks, those are all good points to consider. i do like the hotrod black look, although it is a concession to money to some degree also. of course i think most of us building a car have to make those to some degree on every build. im sure if cash was limitless wed all have something done differently with our cars. my poor car is going to have to be stripped down to bare metal eventually anyways, the previous idiot,,er, owner, primered it right over the existing paint and some questionable body work. i guess ill just worry about getting it put back together and mechanically where i want it, that will give me some time to think about paint. but i digress, i dont want to take this guys thread off topic any further than it already is. my build thread link is in my signature, feel free to stop by and check it out, and throw out any idea/opinions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor