Plastic interior paint

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
How is the durability and and quality of the interior plastic paint? I was hoping to purchase all new already in the color I want but it appears that some of the parts have been discontinued. Thank you in advance.

How is the durability and and quality of the interior plastic paint? I was hoping to purchase all new already in the color I want but it appears that some of the parts have been discontinued. Thank you in advance.
I dyed my door panels and arms rest back to factory color a few months ago. So far so good. I'm not too concerned with the panels themselves lasting. I'm more concerned with the arm rests since they get rubbed on.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s what I’m concerned about. The pieces that will be “used” the most. I don’t want to do all that and it’s either peeling or rubbing off in a year or less

I used 'SEM' interior paint 30 years ago and it is still holding up fine. Preparation is the KEY. Parts have to be clean, clean, clean. I believe the directions said to sand the parts with 1200 grit sandpaper..... and to use some type of 'plastic prep' to open the pores of the plastic. I followed the directions as written and success!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I cleaned my parts with purple power and used plastic prep

Reactions: 1 users
I used 'SEM' interior paint 30 years ago and it is still holding up fine. Preparation is the KEY. Parts have to be clean, clean, clean. I believe the directions said to sand the parts with 1200 grit sandpaper..... and to use some type of 'plastic prep' to open the pores of the plastic. I followed the directions as written and success!
That’s very reassuring. I’m going to have to buy some pieces since they are missing but for the parts I do have that will be really good and will save me money.

sem color coat works well.the largest thing about painted plastic longevity is the preparation of it all.some(not all)require an adhesion promoter and/or plastic type specific guidelines.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
As noted, prep makes or breaks how well & long the recoloring last. Always make sure you get all the needed prep products per the product sheet/instructions for the system you plan to use. Some parts may need a low-gloss, semi-gloss or flat clear to reduce sun glare like dash & A pillar parts. Then don't expect a 100% perfect match as even new there were different shades from dye lots, differences in the cloths, vinyls, plastics & lacquer paints used on hard parts. Another thing is not all years used the same color on everything like the dash & A pillars which could of used a darker shade or a different color that is not listed on the Fisher body plate & SPID tag. This usually have the main/primary color used.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I am planning on changing the interior to a nonstick color. So that would entail coloring.

I rattled all my interoir plastic pieces with rattle can Carmine from one of the forum sponsors. That was about 12 yrs ago. No flaking, pealing or wearing out on those high touch pieces. THe surface must be super clean of the years of protectorants used such as Armor_ _ _ above all or any other silicone products. Degrease ithem well, use plenty of dish washing liquid and rinse well, and dry it well. I did not use primer since I wasn't changing color. It has held up super well over the years.

Attachments

• InteriorAssy6.JPG
    InteriorAssy6.JPG
    715 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor