Playing with Turbo TR's for 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwikr 1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2010
Hi guys new to the site . I have been playing with a 1987 Turbo V6 TR for the last 11-12 years . Went from stock to running 10's in the 1/4 mile .and just recently sold it . Loved the turbo V6's , but got tired of them being a money pit . I'm moving on and in the middle of a Twin Turbo SBC pet project . I am even thinking of dropping it in a G Body . Looking forward to finding some good info on this site . Many thanks . 🙂

Attachments

• DSC00632.jpg
    DSC00632.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 732
  • Turbo_Regal_zzz.jpg
    Turbo_Regal_zzz.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 741
How did you sell her after 11years. I bet that was hard to do. I've never understood turbos enuf to try one out. They seem complicated and I would want power right away and not have to wait for the rpm to get high enuff

87montecarlomrc said:
How did you sell her after 11years. I bet that was hard to do. I've never understood turbos enuf to try one out. They seem complicated and I would want power right away and not have to wait for the rpm to get high enuff

no not really hard at all....maybe a little . 😀 🙂 It was just time to move on and get into something different .These Buick Turbo V6's are real cool but they have their limits . being a "niche" thing , parts are a little more expensive . availability or choice was also a issue at times as well . Not much of a big aftermarket vs a SBC . I was really "turbo dum" and intimidated when I first got it as well , having been "old school" for the last 35 years . But... it's like anything else for the first time , you take baby steps along the way . If you have the right combo on a turbo engine , believe me you don't have to " wait " long . Nothing like a turbo when it hits , It's VERY addictive . lol 🙂

Thanks for the welcomes . 🙂

Kwikr 1 said:
87montecarlomrc said:

no not really hard at all....maybe a little . 😀 🙂 It was just time to move on and get into something different .These Buick Turbo V6's are real cool but they have their limits . being a "niche" thing , parts are a little more expensive . availability or choice was also a issue at times as well . Not much of a big aftermarket vs a SBC . I was really "turbo dum" and intimidated when I first got it as well , having been "old school" for the last 35 years . But... it's like anything else for the first time , you take baby steps along the way . If you have the right combo on a turbo engine , believe me you don't have to " wait " long . Nothing like a turbo when it hits , It's VERY addictive . lol 🙂

87montecarlomrc I just gotta say, Kwikr1 is right. The thing about a turbo is that since it take a second or so to kick in, the acceleration is on a curve, almost exponential -- and when you begin to feel it, it gives you a certain feeling in the seat of your pants, and you also get "butterflies" in your stomach. It is highly addictive. Other goodies are the sound of the blow-off valve going off between shifts, the sound of the turbo spooling up (dunno if TR's do that though). My daily driver is a 1.8 turbo and I loike it lol. 😀

Oh and welcome Kwikr1!

454muscle said:
Kwikr 1 said:
87montecarlomrc said:

87montecarlomrc I just gotta say, Kwikr1 is right. The thing about a turbo is that since it take a second or so to kick in, the acceleration is on a curve, almost exponential -- and when you begin to feel it, it gives you a certain feeling in the seat of your pants, and you also get "butterflies" in your stomach. It is highly addictive. Other goodies are the sound of the blow-off valve going off between shifts, the sound of the turbo spooling up (dunno if TR's do that though). My daily driver is a 1.8 turbo and I loike it lol. 😀

Oh and welcome Kwikr1!

it looks like i may have to start reading up on them alittle more

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor