PLEASE REPLY WITH ADVICE ABOUT MY CHEVY 350!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armystr0ng

n00b
Dec 18, 2010
If you read this please take time to leave a comment with ur advice if you know anything about chevrolet 350!!![/b]

I bought a 1980 oldsmobile cutlass supreme with a v6 from an old man who bought it brand new. It didnt run at all. I riped out the engine and transmission, then found a chevy 350 and turbo 350 transmission for sale. the guy said it came out of a split bumper camaro ( but you know how people hype things up. It already had a edelbrock pro manifold not high rise or anything though. A quadrojet carb and flowtech headers, idk what kind of cam or crank it has but the guy said it has an (RV cam) idk it has a lot of torque then it slows down and then speeds up to a high speed. "it doesnt lope very much at all though" it has crome timing cover and oil pan. iT has brand new heads, but idk what kind it says OEM on the inside so i guess there stock. So far all ive done to it is changed the distributor to an hei accel from autozone also msd cap and rotor set, accel ignition coil and msd street performer multi spark ignition modual bx and msd 10mm wires from autozone as well. ( i use to work there) i use the best ac delco there is for it, i tried accel shorty header plugs but they burt up too fast. And got a 3 inch breather. and optima bat. It has true duals with 12 inch glass packs, thinking about putting old school cutouts also. Other than that, thats all. its a fast car and on the high way my wife went 90 and i walked away from here like she was still and didnt even notice so it os fast but i want faster with bigger lope and more torque. So questions

remember this is a street car/ hot rod not a dragster haha
1.what kind of cam can i use for bigger lope, without changing heads lifters springs or pistons.
2.whats an easy way for more compression
3.should i go with a high rise manifold
4.what carb should i go with

ill put more recent pics of motor tommorow im in iraq with the army and hafta get my wife to take them. these are before i put all the ignition set up on it. pretty much how i got it.

Attachments

• hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 431
I have ran my 350 for the last 6 years. I ran an identical setup to yours except I was running the summit k1103 camshaft. This cam has the lope your looking for and has nice torque and horsepower. I was running a 2.5 inch flowmaster 40 exhaust which also helped. I recommended the same cam to another member here and he loved it. Shouldn't have to swap out springs or anything with this cam, although I am a big advocate with matching valvetrain with camshaft.

Here is the cam: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1103/

As for getting better compression, mill the heads. But then again we don't know what size combustion chambers you have on those heads and if they don't have a serial number like 333882 or something like that, then we really can't give you any sound advice. Keep that intake and make sure the quadrajet works good. I don't like q-jets myself but its all personal preference.

Other factor is that you can't forget transmission or what rear gear your running. While a motor is the heart of any build, swapping the rear gear or torque converter can turn a car into a whole other animal.

X2 on the spring if you don't change them at least set them up for the seat pressure to mach the cam card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor