pontiac 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
The 2004R trans uses the smaller TH200c and TH350 trans output yoke, not the larger one from the TH400. Both transmissions do use the same crossmember.

The 86 2004R trans is much better than the 81-85 transmission and will hold up fine behind an all stock 400 from the 70's. You will be fine except that you need a torque converter from a TH200c or 2004R that came behind a Pontiac 265/301 or a chevy V6 or sbc v8. You can make it work with the Olds/Buick torque converter but it will not sit properly against the crankshaft and will cause problems for the input shaft and front seal down the road.

You need factory motor mounts from an A or G body (or even early B body) that came factory with either the 265 or 301 Pontiac V8. These were available in Pontiac and Buick cars from 78-82. These are also the same car that you buy your radiator hoses and etc,. from when you put the engine in.

Good luck!

--Kris

Feb 24, 2009
Detroit
bigjake34452 said:
wow, thanks for the quick replys guys. the car is my brothers, and he has the oppurtunity to buy a 73 firebird with this engine and transmission. he has been looking for an engine to replace his 307 for a while now but needs to do this on a budget, so he asked me to help him. would this be worth it? how much do those mounts usually go for?

If your on a budget why not go for an LS drivetrain out of a 98 or 99 Camaro or Trans Am. You should be able to find one of those fairly cheap and it we be reliable with decent fuel economy... Just a thought...

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I know most things are pretty expensive in the detroit area (I've got a friend here in the tent with me from there) so your idea of a budget may not be the same as the author of this thread.

LOL most guys around here mean 200-300 dollars when they say they need to do something on a budget!

An LS is okay if you like modern chevy power (or GM powertrain) but you can't get that swap done for less than 2000 dollars unless you get the engine free.

You'd have to get the right mounts, new driveshaft, and don't forget the wiring for the fuel system. You might be able to fab all the mounts and wiring yourself, but most people can't.

Did you do the LS swap yet? If you did, some pics would be great to help out the other guys.

Feb 24, 2009
Detroit
Not yet, but one day I would like to do one.. My G Body has a turbocharged 454 crate motor swap... I have a friend of mine that did an LS swap into a 87 Trans Am with a TH400 and installed a turbo also..

I haven't figured out how to get pics on here yet, when I do I'll post some...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor