pontiac engine with a/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert87ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
does anyone have a/c installed on their cars where a pontiac engine is used. i want to put a/c on mine but the price of the old style compressor is crazy. does anyone use the small compressor?

80GP400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
I had mine mocked up on my 80 but never finished hooking it up. When I rebuilt my motor I pulled everything off to drop weight and clean the engine up a little bit. It had the smaller compressor not the long old one. What parts do you need for yours?

Thanks
Tom

robert87ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
I found everything at classic auto air. they use a sanden 508 compressor. its much smaller than the original. but I have not completely decided what im going to do. what did you use for brackets? did you fab some?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am using the small radial compressor on mine, but it's a 301. I'm pretty sure it is not compatible with the standard big Pontiacs. However, I think the '79-'80-'81 301's used both the big axial and small radial depending on application. (turbo mandated radial) Maybe the brackets could be modified to work.

80GP400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
All the brackets I used on my 400 were stock brackets off of a 301. Everything lined up perfect and it had plenty of support and didn't look too bad, they are cast aluminum. If I remember I will snap a picture of them when I get home

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor