pontiac/oldsmobile headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
i wanna know what 's difference between a pontiac headers and oldsmobile headers ?! i think only difference is about the engine side flanges ...

i am asking it about using both on a G or F body car for example

oldsmobile
HOK-3901-3HKR_xl.jpg

pontiac
dou-d570_xl.jpg

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
You need to clarify the question. Do you want to know which one installs better? or which one flows better.
As far as flow goes, that depends on the manufactures. The pipe size, length and number of bends tells the flow. The general rule is the less 90 degree bends there are the greater the flow.
I hope this helps.
T

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Of course if you meant Installation, the Olds installs easier. All gbodies no matter the engine need the starter to be removed. So none are generally easy in the gbody.
T

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
The flanges on Pontiac heads vs Olds heads are a bit different. Probably more work than it is worth to make one fit vs the other. I don't know about Oldsmobile, but I can tell you of one set of headers for a Pontiac in a G-body that fits and that is Maddog headers. I have a D-port Pontiac in my 82 Regal Wagon and the Maddog headers fit nicely. I recently picked up a used Round Port set of headers used that are also Maddog. Most of the Pontiac headers from other car lines either run into the firewall on a g-body, or the lower control arm mount That was my experience with them.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
i am not asking about brands or better flow or comparing gbody or fbody fitment ... i am asking if i have a gbody with v8 oldsmobile and going to swap the engine to v8 pontiac ... what will be different on pontiac headers in compare to oldsmobile one what i have . only the engine side flange and its bolt locations?

can i replace the flanges only to mount it on pontiac engine?

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
cyrus_the_great said:
i am not asking about brands or better flow or comparing gbody or fbody fitment ... i am asking if i have a gbody with v8 oldsmobile and going to swap the engine to v8 pontiac ... what will be different on pontiac headers in compare to oldsmobile one what i have . only the engine side flange and its bolt locations?

can i replace the flanges only to mount it on pontiac engine?

Ok, if you switch to the Pontiac, you will have to get pontiac headers. Trying to cross fit in any way will cost you time, money and engine power. And you still wont get the advantage of headers designed for the engine. A example is some Pontiac Fbody headers fit a Gbody but Olds Fbody headers will not work well at all. They are that different even down to the way they work.
That's why some are called "Tuned headers". They increase the the engines power efficiently. Also that's why a Pontiac and Olds sound different from similar exhaust setups.

Can you make it fit? Yes. But it won't work like a true made for Pontiac header, thus killing some of the power.
Thanks for clarifying your question.
I hope this answers it better.
T

Mikes455Wagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2008
Point blank, Olds port spacing is WAY different than a Pontiac. You are going to have to remake some of the tubes to get them to fit.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
Mikes455Wagon said:
Point blank, Olds port spacing is WAY different than a Pontiac. You are going to have to remake some of the tubes to get them to fit.

good point , tnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor