Power Steering Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 bluecutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have an 86 Cutlass Supreme I got not to long ago. My problem is I bought new alternator and power steering belts and cant seem to keep the ps belt from squealing in the morning. :x Usually will stop after fan clutch kicks in but will off and on do it throughout the day. Belt is tight and don't want to break it. Car didn't have the A/C compressor when I got it and have heard that it wont stop till I put one back on. Anyone know of another option beside this? Going to pull a part in the morning and hope I can find one.

Try loosening the belt, it worked for me. If that does not work, you will need to go to a passenger side alt setup which can be tough to find all the parts, or go to a double groove steering pulley and use the rest of the 307 brackets and pulleys.

Finally got a chance to work on it. I put the a/c compressor on and it did the trick. I never would've guessed it. Thanks

Ha... Guess I should put the A/C compressor back in my Regal to make the awful belt screeching that drives me insane go away. Never heard that such a thing could make a difference.

If I recall correctly though since the AC didn't work anyway, I didn't put it back on after changing the water pump, and because I lost one of the spacers some where. :roll:

thats the exact same problem im having n my 84 cutlass..i have an smog and a/c delete mod so i guess i will have to loosen up the belt too

In what universe does it make sense to LOOSEN the belt? As I've noted every time this topic comes up, I've never had a problem with a squealing PS (or any other) belt on an Olds motor in 35 years. That includes my 84 307 with the A/C removed and the stock driver's side alternator. Try adjusting the belt per the factory directions in the Chassis Service Manual. THere are three fasteners that must be loosened on the PS pump, two under the pulley and one at the bottom back of the pump. Use a pry bar between the tab on the bracket and the nose of the pump behind the pulley to get proper tension. Tighten to spec. Magically, no more squealing.

I had one car where I tightened the built like normal and it slipped. So, I tightened it some more and it seemed to get worse, so I loosened it up more than I would typically and it worked. So far, that has been my ONLY experience for that to help the situation, but I can believe Dan above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor