MONTE CARLO Power Steering Box Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DONE! For those who responded to my thread and followed along, Thank You, appreciated. The fix that I ended up using was the Borgeson brass inserts that allow you to use the invert flare version of the return line. The kit comes with three inserts. First thing I did was to mike the hole diameter in the return port where the O-ring would have plugged in. Then I miked the inserts. All three come up at about 3/8ths which is the diameter of the tube. The port mikes out to about .010 or so wider in dia. All this means that the insert can be installed using finger pressure. Before you do that be sure to check the taper on the insert. The two that look alike, aren't. The difference in the angle of the taper is due to one being for invert flare bodied tubes and the other being for JIC style hydraulic ends. Both of these come with the same type of male nut and have the same thread pitch and diameter, it is just that the tube itself is flared differently in each case. The only additional step that I took was to deburr the lower face where the drill passed through. Not much of a burr but even a speck of brass could give the steering box a case of indigestion!.

Anyway. Tomorrow AM I have to phone NAPA and see if they have some more power steering fluid; the pump was dry and not sure how much was left in the box. Did elect to swap the belt that I had started with for one just a little shorter. Offers a bit more by way of adjustment and moves the pump slightly closer to the water pump leaving a little more room for the pulley to spin without "talking" to items around it.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Oh, yeah, did go ahead and order the O-ring version of the tube. It is likely to still be somewhere overseas waiting for some "Bat Eater" to sneeze on it before it gets shipped. Not holding my breath on how fast it will arrive, if it ever does...……...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor