Power Trunk Release Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey Guys ive had this problem for a while and decided i want to get it fixed. I just went to try my power trunk release and it still doesnt work, i tried a new switch i got and still nothing. Tried both connectors on either one and still nothing. Ive tried pressing it with the car off car on where i can use the radio and the car started and fully running and nothing. Could anyone shed some light on this problem? oh and Its a 1986 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe Thanks!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Can you open your trunk at all? Not sure from your post but you can test the release latch if you can get the trunk open. If not, you might have to get in through your back seat, then you have to unplug the harness on the trunk release latch, and touch a 12 volt (positive) lead (from your car battery) to the metal piece in the middle of the latch. Should pop open. Just be careful not to touch that positive wire to any metal on the car or it'll short out! Hope that makes sense.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
454muscle said:
Can you open your trunk at all? Not sure from your post but you can test the release latch if you can get the trunk open. If not, you might have to get in through your back seat, then you have to unplug the harness on the trunk release latch, and touch a 12 volt (positive) lead (from your car battery) to the metal piece in the middle of the latch. Should pop open. Just be careful not to touch that positive wire to any metal on the car or it'll short out! Hope that makes sense.

Yea i can get into my trunk using the key. Its just the car has the feature of a power trunk release so i would like it to work :lol: Im not too sure what you mean with the positive lead though? Where can i find it?

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Check all your fuses in the fuse box :wink:

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Black Sheep said:
Which fuse would it be running off of?

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Black Sheep said:
Yeah, do that first.

If there is no burnt fuse, then:

With trunk open, under the trunk lid, there is your power trunk release, with a wire going into it's harness. Unplug it. In the harness is a metal prong (one).

Get yourself a really long wire and clamp one end to your battery's postive terminal and take the other end, and touch it to the single metal prong inside the trunk release harness. If it actuates, then the problem is your wiring somewhere between the release and your switch.

But it was probably just your fuse :roll:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Lorenzo said:
Black Sheep said:

Pull 'em all out one by one... there's only a few to go through...

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
454muscle said:
Lorenzo said:
Black Sheep said:

Pull 'em all out one by one... there's only a few to go through...

Ok I guess ill try that! Thanks!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
its also tied into the PN Switch as mine only opens with the car in Park and ign on

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor