Power Trunk Release Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
isnt there a solenoid that pops the relaese hatch? if so, that may have gone bad, just a suggestion. i dont have atrunk popper but ive heard that they go out, just like the poppers for the doors, that is why there is an emergency latch

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
454muscle said:
Black Sheep said:
Check all your fuses in the fuse box :wink:
Yeah, do that first.

If there is no burnt fuse, then:

With trunk open, under the trunk lid, there is your power trunk release, with a wire going into it's harness. Unplug it. In the harness is a metal prong (one).

Get yourself a really long wire and clamp one end to your battery's postive terminal and take the other end, and touch it to the single metal prong inside the trunk release harness. If it actuates, then the problem is your wiring somewhere between the release and your switch.

But it was probably just your fuse :roll:

Ok so i checked all my fuses and none of them are out. I went to try to unplug the connector from the harness and couldnt get the dang thing off of it. Any ideas?

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Hey buddy:

Sounds like you got a wire issue, make sure there is good ground on the popper on the latch, i was having that problem, since it does get full of dust from over the years..

But if u need another popper I have (2) avaliable if u need them??

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37643&p=319879#p319879

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Hey buddy:

Sounds like you got a wire issue, make sure there is good ground on the popper on the latch, i was having that problem, since it does get full of dust from over the years..

http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 79#p319879

Ok ill check that tommorow, ill see if the popper will work or if it has voltage! Ill keep you in mind though

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Hey buddy:

http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 79#p319879

Ok So today i got a test light and hooked it to the wire harness plugged into the mechanism and pressed the switch and guess what? The light didnt come on which means theres no power going to it. Anyone have any ideas where to check if a wire has been pulled outta the fuse box? Thanks

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Lorenzo said:
Anyone have any ideas where to check if a wire has been pulled outta the fuse box?

How about, the fuse box? :rofl:

Sorry, had to :mrgreen:

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Black Sheep said:
Lorenzo said:
Anyone have any ideas where to check if a wire has been pulled outta the fuse box?

How about, the fuse box? :rofl:

Sorry, had to :mrgreen:

just reading that made me lol too. Well what would the wire look like and where would it be plugged into? Because i cant really tell which wire it is

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Try this. Have a helper at the fuse box. Open the glove box to where you can see the wires coming off the button. Wiggle and pull on the power wire (you'll have to do some investigating to see which is which). Your helper should be able to see the wire being pulled and moved. Might have to pull some of the plastic from under the dash.

Maybe take a length of wire and temporarily wire the button to a known "hot" lead in the fuse box, just to double check.

The trunk popper is a simple beast. "Hot" to one side of the switch, other side of the switch to the popper in the trunk. The popper is grounded to the trunklid where it bolts on.

Reactions: 1 users

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Black Sheep said:
Try this. Have a helper at the fuse box. Open the glove box to where you can see the wires coming off the button. Wiggle and pull on the power wire (you'll have to do some investigating to see which is which). Your helper should be able to see the wire being pulled and moved. Might have to pull some of the plastic from under the dash.

Maybe take a length of wire and temporarily wire the button to a known "hot" lead in the fuse box, just to double check.

The trunk popper is a simple beast. "Hot" to one side of the switch, other side of the switch to the popper in the trunk. The popper is grounded to the trunklid where it bolts on.

Ok So today i got the test light and went to the switch and both wires going in had power, but still no power to the back harness. Any idea what it can be?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have power coming out of the trunk release switch then there is probably a cut or break in the wire if the power doesn't make it to the trunk release.
You could try tracing the wire and find the bad spot which would probably be in the trunk area or under the dash since rest of the wire runs under your door sill and carpet.(but could still be anywhere in between)
Or you could just run a new wire from the switch back to the trunk up to your release and be done.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor