Priming

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Got around to priming the new engine yesterday...

First of all, it has a brand new pump (stock replacement) filter, pickup screen, and we are turning it counter clockwise :lol:

After we found out that some of the pushrods were plugged, we cleared them all, and only got oil to come to 3 or the rockers. and that was with the drill full speed for 5-10 minutes.

How long should it take?? I heard quite a while, like 20 minutes.

We are getting oil to the filter and to the fuel pump(thats how we knew we had to put the pump on the block :lol: )

Any tips/tricks? Am I doing everything right??

CHRIZ28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2009
Pocahontas, AR
I'm not real sure, but it may have something to do with where the internals are at. You may rotate the motor alittle to move the cam/lifters around and see if anything changes. Just a guess. Anybody know for sure?

Chris

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
Something is HOSED! You shouldn't have to spin it more than a couple of minutes, depends on drill speed. And three rockers total on both sides, that's messed up. Need more info on what you did to help.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
Oh, DO NOT start that engine!

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Something is not right. It should take no more than 5 minutes to get oil to the top end. How good was the block cleaned? Sounds like some passages may be clogged.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
We tried rotating the motor yesterday, no help.

What passges could possibly be clogged? How do I unclog them?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
89Nighthawk said:
Oh, DO NOT start that engine!

i second that. dont you dare start that engine.

there should be nothing plugged up, EVER. if there is then whoever built it did something incredibly wrong.

if you want them unplugged take the engine BACK to the person who built it, throw something large at them and tell them to build it correctly. engines arent cheap and putting one in and taking it out and having to get it "fixed" when it should have been done right the first time would be enough for me to go off on them.

you have two options, make them come out and fix it OR take it apart yourself and go over every part AND the block. and by the block i mean strip it down and scrub it inside out with brushes in every passage and basically rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
primed

not trying to be a ******* :shock: your turning your pump the wrong direction......jesse :D

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Thats shitty.

We bought it rebuilt, so I guess we will try priming it again. I talked to another forum member and he said his took like 20 minutes and he almost wore out his drill.

Yes, we know not to start the engine.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Its an olds motor. counter clockwise...right??? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor